VB4.0a with Pentium Pro 200MHz
Author Message
 VB4.0a with Pentium Pro 200MHz

Has anyone had a problem with VB40.a on NT3.51 (sp4) when running on a
Pentium Pro (200 MHz) machine.  We have such a machine where any VB4.0a
program that opens and closes a database will generate a DrWatson Fatal
Error.

"could not attach to the application"

Windows NT Error Code = 87

I created a test program to duplicate the problem.  It's one from with
only one button.  You open a database, push the button to close it and
unload the form and the program generates the above error. If you do not
close the database the error does not occur.  This problem does not
happen on regular pentiums.

Any ideas.

Thanks,

Anthony Prince

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4.0a with Pentium Pro 200MHz

Quote:

>Has anyone had a problem with VB40.a on NT3.51 (sp4) when running on a
>Pentium Pro (200 MHz) machine.  We have such a machine where any VB4.0a
>program that opens and closes a database will generate a DrWatson Fatal
>Error.

>"could not attach to the application"

>Windows NT Error Code = 87

>I created a test program to duplicate the problem.  It's one from with
>only one button.  You open a database, push the button to close it and
>unload the form and the program generates the above error. If you do not
>close the database the error does not occur.  This problem does not
>happen on regular pentiums.

>Any ideas.

>Thanks,

>Anthony Prince

We have a 150 working with no problems, but you might want to see if NT
is causing the problem or VB.  One way to do this is to open the same
database using another EXE with the same engine. (i.e. VB4 DAO == Access
DAO, etc..).  Also check with the NT resource kit to find out what that
error code means, and you might want to place the latest service pack on
your system.

Richard

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4.0a with Pentium Pro 200MHz

Quote:

>Has anyone had a problem with VB40.a on NT3.51 (sp4) when running on a
>Pentium Pro (200 MHz) machine.  We have such a machine where any VB4.0a
>program that opens and closes a database will generate a DrWatson Fatal
>Error.
>"could not attach to the application"
>Windows NT Error Code = 87
>I created a test program to duplicate the problem.  It's one from with
>only one button.  You open a database, push the button to close it and
>unload the form and the program generates the above error. If you do not
>close the database the error does not occur.  This problem does not
>happen on regular pentiums.
>Any ideas.
>Thanks,
>Anthony Prince

I don't have the same type machine, but I have had several problems
related to SP4 that were supposed to be fixed.  Today I went back to
SP3 and all of my problems have gone away....

Jim

Wed, 04 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4.0a with Pentium Pro 200MHz

Jim,

We were having the problem with SP3.  We then loaded SP4 to see if the
problem was resolved.  No such luck.

Quote:

>I don't have the same type machine, but I have had several problems
>related to SP4 that were supposed to be fixed.  Today I went back to
>SP3 and all of my problems have gone away....

>Jim

Fri, 06 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4.0a with Pentium Pro 200MHz

Hey Anthony-

Did you try unloading thru a timer..That solved a problem I was having
with something that was blowing up on unload.

SUE

says...

Quote:

>Has anyone had a problem with VB40.a on NT3.51 (sp4) when running on a
>Pentium Pro (200 MHz) machine.  We have such a machine where any
VB4.0a
>program that opens and closes a database will generate a DrWatson
Fatal
>Error.

>"could not attach to the application"

>Windows NT Error Code = 87

>I created a test program to duplicate the problem.  It's one from with
>only one button.  You open a database, push the button to close it and
>unload the form and the program generates the above error. If you do
not
>close the database the error does not occur.  This problem does not
>happen on regular pentiums.

>Any ideas.

>Thanks,

>Anthony Prince

Sat, 07 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4.0a with Pentium Pro 200MHz

Quote:
> Has anyone had a problem with VB40.a on NT3.51 (sp4) when running on a
> Pentium Pro (200 MHz) machine.  We have such a machine where any VB4.0a
> program that opens and closes a database will generate a DrWatson Fatal
> Error.

> "could not attach to the application"

> Windows NT Error Code = 87

> I created a test program to duplicate the problem.  It's one from with
> only one button.  You open a database, push the button to close it and
> unload the form and the program generates the above error. If you do not
> close the database the error does not occur.  This problem does not
> happen on regular pentiums.

Hi -
        A Database will automatically be closed when the module that opened it
goes out of scope in VB. That means that the db you are working with is
being closed. Closing the form without doing a db.close probably generates
the event in a cached fashion that overcomes some potential timing and
look ahead problems with the processor.

Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. FS: VB5.0 Pro and VB4.0a Pro

2. FS: VB5.0 Pro and VB4.0a Pro

3. Favor Pentium Pro

4. Favor Pentium Pro compile option

5. VB5: Pentium Pro optimization switch?

6. Using the Pentium Pro

7. ADO and Non Pentium Pro Processors

8. Favor Pentium Pro

9. Compile Options - Favour Pentium Pro

10. How to determine CPU Pentium Pro

11. Pentium Pro - how can I find out????

12. How to get VB4.0A: the snychronization release of VB4