Tracing VB/QDBC SQL CALLS??
Author Message
 Tracing VB/QDBC SQL CALLS??

Is there a way to  log the SQL calls made to a database(s) from VB through
ODBC to an Access database?  I have an application that I would like to tune,
but the calls are stored inside an Access database, and they are called when
the VB program decides to call  then.  I do not have the capability to rebuild
the application (we are buying the app from a vendor), but I would at least
like to see if I can tune some of the querrys VB is calling.  All I have to do
is find out which one I sould spend time on.

Is there any standard procedure/tools used in tuning a VB/Access/OBDC
application?

Is Access the wrong desktop database to use?  I am kinda stuck with Access
since the app is not the sole user/creater of the databases.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sat, 11 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Tracing VB/QDBC SQL CALLS??

Quote:

> Is there a way to  log the SQL calls made to a database(s) from VB through
> ODBC to an Access database?  I have an application that I would like to tune,
> but the calls are stored inside an Access database, and they are called when
> the VB program decides to call  then.  I do not have the capability to rebuild
> the application (we are buying the app from a vendor), but I would at least
> like to see if I can tune some of the querrys VB is calling.  All I have to do
> is find out which one I sould spend time on.

> Is there any standard procedure/tools used in tuning a VB/Access/OBDC
> application?

There is an ODBC trace function you can start from the ODBC administrator which
you should find in the Control Panel group - this provides some basic logging
of the calls. More detailed logging is provided with the ODBC Spy tool that
comes with the ODBC SDK, the parameter values send and returned on each api
call for example. The SDK also provides an ODBC test tool, allowing you to
send particular api calls with parameters to a given source, also to feed in
a script. Unfortunately it seems yo can only to get the SDK by taking out a
level 2 subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network.

Oakley, Hampshire, England

Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Tracing VB/QDBC SQL CALLS??
Quote:
>>Is there a way to  log the SQL calls made to a database(s) from VB
through
>>ODBC to an Access database?

A program named SPY comes with ODBC SDK and does an excellent job of
showing/logging the API level activity to/from ODBC.  The only way I know
of to get it is with the MSDN Level 2 membership.

Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Tracing externally called DLLs from VB

2. Tracing DLL function calls

3. Tracing calls to ODBC

4. Tracing DLL function calls

5. Procedure Call's Trace

6. Tracing DLL function calls

7. Tracing DLL function calls

8. SQL procedure call from VB with PL/SQL table (with two fields) as agrument

9. How can I trace a EXE file which function been called in a DLL

10. Tracing DLL function calls

11. How can I trace a EXE file which function been called in a DLL

12. How can I trace a EXE file which function been called in a DLL