RDO to MS-Access
Author Message
 RDO to MS-Access

Is RDO to MS-Access a reasonable possibility?  This is a quote from
Micro$oft and I don't understand why RDO wouldn't work with Access.

***
The DAO model is used for ISAM, Access and ODBC databases. The RDO model
is designed for ODBC databases only, and it has been optimized for
Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 and Oracle.
***

Thanks

bud

614 Grande Heights Drive                     http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bud
Cary, NC  27513-3157                        919.319.0491

Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 RDO to MS-Access

Quote:
>Is RDO to MS-Access a reasonable possibility?  This is a quote from
>Micro$oft and I don't understand why RDO wouldn't work with Access.

>***
>The DAO model is used for ISAM, Access and ODBC databases. The RDO model
>is designed for ODBC databases only, and it has been optimized for
>Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 and Oracle.
>***

>Thanks

>bud

I use RDO with Accesss 7.0 using the 32bit Access ODBC driver.

Richard.

Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 RDO to MS-Access

Quote:

> Is RDO to MS-Access a reasonable possibility?  This is a quote from
> Micro$oft and I don't understand why RDO wouldn't work with Access.

> ***
> The DAO model is used for ISAM, Access and ODBC databases. The RDO model
> is designed for ODBC databases only, and it has been optimized for
> Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 and Oracle.
> ***

> Thanks

> bud
> --

> 614 Grande Heights Drive                    http://www.webbuild.com/~bud
> Cary, NC  27513-3157                        919.319.0491

When using RAO you need a database program on the server side.
Since your Access Jet Engine is always on the client side and
not able to run as a stand alone server program RAO is not an
option.

Gert-Jan Strik

Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 RDO to MS-Access

Quote:
> Is RDO to MS-Access a reasonable possibility?  This is a
> quote from Micro$oft and I don't understand why RDO
> wouldn't work with Access.

> ***
> The DAO model is used for ISAM, Access and ODBC databases.
> The RDO model is designed for ODBC databases only, and it
> has been optimized for Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 and Oracle.
> ***

These are the setups that will yield optimum performance,
but if you can find the Access ODBC driver, then there's
no reason why you can't use RDO. In fact, I'm using it
now, only because I want to connect my product to Oracle
as soon as my network connection is hammered out. It is
slower, but it allows the flexibility to move to a
different ODBC platform.

--
Greg Frizzle

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 RDO to MS-Access

written:

Quote:
>Is RDO to MS-Access a reasonable possibility?

Possible - Yes.

Reasonable -  Depends on what you're doing.

Quote:
>it has been optimized for Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 and Oracle.

Microsoft understand where their big market is; seriously large client
/ server projects with SQL 6 etc. They haven't ruled Access out (if
you use ODBC), but they have optimised for an alternative database
engine.

If you had a "business object" architecture where the business rules
were complex, but the pure database work was relatively light, then
Access might make a good choice.

--

If all it takes is an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters,
how come AOL haven't written any Shakespeare yet ?

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 RDO to MS-Access

Quote:

>written:
>>Is RDO to MS-Access a reasonable possibility?
>Possible - Yes.
>Reasonable -  Depends on what you're doing.
>>it has been optimized for Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 and Oracle.
>Microsoft understand where their big market is; seriously large client
>/ server projects with SQL 6 etc. They haven't ruled Access out (if
>you use ODBC), but they have optimised for an alternative database
>engine.
>If you had a "business object" architecture where the business rules
>were complex, but the pure database work was relatively light, then
>Access might make a good choice.
>--

>If all it takes is an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters,
>how come AOL haven't written any Shakespeare yet ?

I've never tried this so please correct me if I'm wrong as I'd be
interested in trying this for a small project I have which simply uses
Jet (for the moment anyway!)

I thought RDO required Level 2 ODBC drivers whilst Access ODBC drivers
are only Level 1? (Or am I really way way off on this?)

Thanks.
Fred Baptiste

Sat, 07 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

2. VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

3. VB & RDO connect MSACCESS

4. US-NY-New York City-Visual Basic-MS ACCESS-SQL Server-SYBASE-RDO

5. Accessing MS SQL Server Text Fields via RDO

6. Accessing MS SQL Server Text Field via RDO

7. Accessing to a ODBC MSAccess database by rdo at same time

8. How to access RDO with VB 5.0 and MS SQL Server 5.0

9. Accessing current record in MS Access with DDE from MS Word

10. Regarding Accessing External database using MS-Access and MS-Visual Basic

11. Link MS Access on PocketPC to Desktop MS Access

12. lock table for concurrent user-access with RDO and Access-Database