Access<->VB Question
Author Message
 Access<->VB Question

I have been writing database applications in VB Prof 3.0 for about a
year.  In most cases, I simply create the empty database structure
using the Data Manager program and specify Access 1.1 database version.
I then manipulate the database via programs.  This has worked fine since
I have never needed to integrate the databases with an actual copy of
Access.  Now things have changed and two questions arise:

1.  A customer of mine wants an Access application, so I have obtained
    Access 2.0 and installed it in the machine.  I noticed that Access
    installs a number of DLL files in the \SYSTEM directory.  Does
    Access' DLL's overwrite those which VB uses?  Will this cause
    unexpected problems with my existing VB programs which work with
    Access DB files?  If the new Access DLL's do cause problems, what
    should I do?

2.  Now that I may be integrating VB programs and Access 2.0, I need to know
    how to make VB capable of using an Access 2.0 database file.  I
    remember hearing that Microsoft had some files which fixed the issue.
    Can someone tell me 1) where to get them and 2) how to use them.
    When I get the compatibility files, how should I use Data Manager.
    It will still only offer Access 1.0 and 1.1.  Will I need to be
    aware of any problems which will need to be changed in my existing
    VB code?

Thanks for any help you can give!

   Don Congdon                    | Those who scorn computer history
   Consultant                     | are those who really don't grasp
   Congdon ComputerTECH Services  | what is happening today and will

Tue, 23 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Access<->VB Question

Quote:

>1.  A customer of mine wants an Access application, so I have obtained
>    Access 2.0 and installed it in the machine.  I noticed that Access
>    installs a number of DLL files in the \SYSTEM directory.  Does
>    Access' DLL's overwrite those which VB uses?  Will this cause
>    unexpected problems with my existing VB programs which work with
>    Access DB files?  If the new Access DLL's do cause problems, what
>    should I do?

I did the exact same thing and have had no problems with either
program.

Quote:
>2.  Now that I may be integrating VB programs and Access 2.0, I need
>    to know how to make VB capable of using an Access 2.0 database
>    file.  I remember hearing that Microsoft had some files which
>    fixed the issue.  Can someone tell me 1) where to get them and 2)
>    how to use them.  When I get the compatibility files, how should I
>    use Data Manager.  It will still only offer Access 1.0 and 1.1.
>    Will I need to be aware of any problems which will need to be
>    changed in my existing VB code?

Yes, Microsoft does offer a compatibility layer located at
ftp.microsoft.com in the Softlib/MSLFILES directory.  Once it's
installed, it's transparent to you.  Unfortunately, VB's Data Manager
still can only create 1.0 or 1.1 files even though it can read 2.0
files.  I have not encountered any need to change any of my code to
upgrade to 2.0 data files.

John

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. <<<<<<<<ComboBox>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. HELP >>>>>>WIN API <<<<<<<<<<

5. <<<<HELP- OLE container Control>>>>>>>>>

6. VB5<->RDO2<->ODBC<->ORACLE Procedure Problem

7. <<<Cneck Box>>>

8. <<<Gif Files>>>

9. <<<CD ROM>>>

10. <<<Win32Api.TXT>>>