VB > Access v.2.0 > ODBC ? Help...
Author Message
 VB > Access v.2.0 > ODBC ? Help...

Hmmm, Please help me answer this question...

I have a multi-user database app, written in VB, using
MS Access v.1.1 databases.  It is written for a "network",
but does not use ODBC.  Instead it "opens" the file through
the network.  I have record-locking code in effect, and this
is not a problem...

However, sometimes records "dissappear".  I have tried this
system with, and without Transaction processing.  In all
cases the same things happen....

So, I broke down and purchased Access 2.0. (The MS Office
edition).  I am pretty sure that using ODBC will increase
the reliability of my app, and hopefully make it more stable.
I am also pretty sure that it could increase the network
speed, if I use SQLPASSTHROUGH, and let the "Access 2.0 ODBC
Server" handle the SQL processing.

But I want opinions of anyone who has been in the same boat,
mainly because this will take several days to do the "cross-
over", and I don't want to invest the time, if it will not
reap the benefits listed.

I have also read that the Access drivers that come with
Office do not work "correctly".  Can the Desktop Drivers
be downloaded/FTP'd... ?... Or do I have to shell out yet
more $$$$ to MS ?...

Post here, or email me...

ttyl
Jason

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 VB > Access v.2.0 > ODBC ? Help...

: I have also read that the Access drivers that come with
: Office do not work "correctly".  Can the Desktop Drivers
: be downloaded/FTP'd... ?... Or do I have to shell out yet
: more $$$$ to MS ?...

Hi Jason,

There is a service pak available for MS Access that upgrades the drivers
and other files to version 2.5 (I beleive this is the version number).

You can download this from Microsofts FTP site (FTP.MICROSOFT.COM or also
visit their WWW page at WWW.MICROSOFT.COM).

Mohamed

Node 1 Technologies                                     (403) 490-0686
                                                        Voice Mail/Fax

. Custom Software Development
. MS Access, Foxpro or Visual Basic for Windows
. Clipper/dBASE
. Custom Voice Mail Solutions
. Small Business Accounting Applications
. Systems Analysis and Design
. Network Design, Installations and Administration using Lantastic

Mon, 29 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Pass Data VB>SQL>ODBC>Oracle Database

2. PSUDOCODE HELP >>>>>>>>>>>

5. >>>>>>While Not rst.EOF

6. ORACLE->ODBC ->VB5->HTML

7. ORACLE->ODBC ->VB5->HTML

8. ORACLE->ODBC ->VB5->HTML

9. ORACLE->ODBC ->VB5->HTML

10. VB5<->RDO2<->ODBC<->ORACLE Procedure Problem

11. Please Help --------->>>>AppLink Problem

12. >>>> HELP WITH RUNTIME FILES