VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems
Author Message
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

I have just started to write my first ever Client/Server Database
Application in VB3.  It is basically a Notifier Program that runs in
the background, minimised, and pops up to tell a user they have new
"Problems".  It works by querying the Oracle 7.x.x.x Database sitting
on a HP Unix Box via ODBC.

The application runs fine BUT when the program "POLLS" every x mins
and runs the query, the whole of windows goes dead for about
20-30secs.  Is their a way of stopping this application freeze, or
even speed up the SQL query (it takes about 3-5secs via SQLPLUS on the
host), and our network is fast!

The code I use goes something like:-

Set mydb=OpenDatabase("{data source name}",False, True,"ODBC; UID=xxx;
PWD=xxx")
Set myresults=CreateDynaset("{SQL Statement}")

Is their a "slicker" way of doing this, or is just one of the problems
with ODBC????

Any help, pointer, files, examples......  would be very much
appreciated.

Regards,

|/arren - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

I have a similar problem with VB3-ODBC-Sybase 10.

The application ran fine on an Access Database but now is
painfully slow.  On transaction which took less than .5 sec
now take 8 sec to complete.

Any idea?

--

Action Telematique Inc              | (514)257-8167
5500, pl. de Jumonville, suite 312

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

I am looking for a third party VBX that will give my VB 3.0
application 3-D look merely by adding them to my project.

Have been using VBCTL3D.VBX, but it conflicts with First Impressions
Graphics 1.0 VBX.

Please Help,
Jeff Jacobsen

Fri, 06 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

Quote:

>>I am looking for a third party VBX that will give my VB 3.0
>>application 3-D look merely by adding them to my project.

>>Have been using VBCTL3D.VBX, but it conflicts with First Impressions
>>Graphics 1.0 VBX.

>>Please Help,
>>Jeff Jacobsen

If you want a code module drop-in (needs a bit of work to make calls
to subs), go to http://infoweb.magi.com/~bclarke/wwwlinks.html and
download the utility posted on that page (use THREED.BAS module).
Look at the source code of the utility to see how to use it.
A programmer and his mind are soon parted!!!!!

HTTP://infoweb.magi.com/~bclarke
PGP Fingerprint: E3 91 F2 98 42 2C 79 28  6E BD 9C 2E C1 0A 70 72

Sat, 07 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

Quote:

>>I am looking for a third party VBX that will give my VB 3.0
>>application 3-D look merely by adding them to my project.

>>Have been using VBCTL3D.VBX, but it conflicts with First Impressions
>>Graphics 1.0 VBX.

>>Please Help,
>>Jeff Jacobsen

If you want a code module drop-in (needs a bit of work to make calls
to subs), go to http://infoweb.magi.com/~bclarke/wwwlinks.html and
download the utility posted on that page (use THREED.BAS module).
Look at the source code of the utility to see how to use it.

File Navigator For Windows 1.1 now available for download.
HTTP://infoweb.magi.com/~bclarke/filenavw.html for more info.

Sat, 07 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

Quote:
>I have just started to write my first ever Client/Server Database
>Application in VB3.  It is basically a Notifier Program that runs in
>the background, minimised, and pops up to tell a user they have new
>"Problems".  It works by querying the Oracle 7.x.x.x Database sitting
>on a HP Unix Box via ODBC.
>The application runs fine BUT when the program "POLLS" every x mins
>and runs the query, the whole of windows goes dead for about
>20-30secs.  Is their a way of stopping this application freeze, or
>even speed up the SQL query (it takes about 3-5secs via SQLPLUS on the
>host), and our network is fast!
>The code I use goes something like:-
>Set mydb=OpenDatabase("{data source name}",False, True,"ODBC; UID=xxx;
>PWD=xxx")
>Set myresults=CreateDynaset("{SQL Statement}")
>Is their a "slicker" way of doing this, or is just one of the problems
>with ODBC????
>Any help, pointer, files, examples......  would be very much
>appreciated.

You're pulling in all the records - thats why it's taking so long. You need
as 'passthrough' after opening your database:

sql = ........     (your SQL statement)

set myresults = createdynaset(sql, db_sqlpassthrough)

Hope that helps
Herb

Regards.

Sun, 08 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

--
threed.vbx an excellent control which comes as part of the vb3.0 profesinal
edition. 3d buttons pannels frames etc

philip jolley

Mon, 09 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

Quote:

>>I am looking for a third party VBX that will give my VB 3.0
>>application 3-D look merely by adding them to my project.

>>Have been using VBCTL3D.VBX, but it conflicts with First Impressions
>>Graphics 1.0 VBX.

>>Please Help,
>>Jeff Jacobsen
>--
>threed.vbx an excellent control which comes as part of the vb3.0 profesinal
>edition. 3d buttons pannels frames etc
>philip jolley

I don't know if this makes any difference, or helps, but it's also a
part of windows, or comes with many windows applications.  Won't come
with any instructions though.

Jason Dumler

Pillows are the coldest part of an empty room.

Wed, 11 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

Don't do it. THREED.VBX will give you more versioning problems than any
given file in existence. Also CTL3d.DLL will give you problems and version
incompatibilities. Particularly because there are so many versions and
they are not very backwards/forwards compatible. My advice is: don't use
them. Instead check out VSVBX by ViseoSoft. It gives you a container
control called an elastic that gives you automatic resolution
independance, captioning of controls (with hotkeys), various resizing
things, bevelling child controls. And Piles more functionality. It also
comes with an excellent tab and an implementation of an AWK parser in a
VBX. Don't walk, run to where you can get this.
At my place of work I have access to more VBXs than I can count. This is
one of the two that I use always.
Otherwise, you could also write some code to use graphics methods to apply
3d effects to your controls. No version problems with that and you get
complete control.

Quote:
> >>I am looking for a third party VBX that will give my VB 3.0
> >>application 3-D look merely by adding them to my project.

> >>Have been using VBCTL3D.VBX, but it conflicts with First Impressions
> >>Graphics 1.0 VBX.

> >--
> >threed.vbx an excellent control which comes as part of the vb3.0
profesinal
> >edition. 3d buttons pannels frames etc

> I don't know if this makes any difference, or helps, but it's also a
> part of windows, or comes with many windows applications.  Won't come
> with any instructions though.

Sun, 22 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems

Quote:
>Don't do it. THREED.VBX will give you more versioning problems than any
>given file in existence. Also CTL3d.DLL will give you problems and version
>incompatibilities. Particularly because there are so many versions and
>they are not very backwards/forwards compatible. My advice is: don't use
>them. Instead check out VSVBX by ViseoSoft. It gives you a container
>control called an elastic that gives you automatic resolution
>independance, captioning of controls (with hotkeys), various resizing
>things, bevelling child controls. And Piles more functionality. It also
>comes with an excellent tab and an implementation of an AWK parser in a
>VBX. Don't walk, run to where you can get this.
>At my place of work I have access to more VBXs than I can count. This is
>one of the two that I use always.
>Otherwise, you could also write some code to use graphics methods to apply
>3d effects to your controls. No version problems with that and you get
>complete control.

I have already written a "Frame Control" routine which adds frames to
controls (No VBX).  If you want it, E-Mail Me.

      \\?//

/-----\(_)/-----------------------------------------------------\

| .oooO   Oooo.   Head of Software Development, Impact Software |
| (   )___(   )      1 Percy Street, Sheffield, S3 8AU, England |
\--\ ( _|_ ) /--------------------------------------------------/
    \_)   (_/

Mon, 23 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB4 Oracle7 ODBC - Problems connecting from VB IDE

2. Oracle7/Access ODBC memory problems

3. VB4 Oracle7 ODBC - Problems connecting from VB IDE

4. Date problem when using ODBC API/ oracle7

5. VB4 Oracle7 ODBC - Problems connecting from VB IDE

6. ODBC Error: Oracle7.2, ODBC, VB4.0, DAO, Jet 3.0

7. VB6/Oracle7 performance issue.

8. Performance problems with list boxes in VB3

9. VB3 to VB5 Performance Problems

10. Problems of performance with VB4 and ORACLE ODBC

11. Performance problems with ODBC (VB4 16-bit) -- HELP!

12. VB3 Oracle7.3 recordset filter Help!