Seek, Index on ADO Recordset
Author Message
 Seek, Index on ADO Recordset

I have a table that is about 300 MB I would like to open the table then do
multiple Seeks on it. The problem is, every time I open the table ADO puts
the entire table into memory (killing the machine). This wasn't a problem
when the code used DAO. Is there anyway to open a table, but access only the
indexes for searching?

    I know I could open it up as a query but there would be too much
overhead if I have about 300000 updates (which happens once a month).
Also, I know I could use find but I would think Seek to be faster and I also
don't want to rewrite half of the code to account for it.
    I'm accessing a Access97 MDB file and have MDAC2.1 installed

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Seek, Index on ADO Recordset
Jim,
Using an Update queries will likely be must faster and easier than opening
the entire table and using Seek, Edit, Update code. Also using a
BeginTrans/CommitTrans around every 100 or so Updates will also improve
speed. Some testing and tweaking may be inorder to make sure Access can
handle your batch update without getting "confused" ;-) Hope this helps.

Oscar Bowyer

Quote:

>I have a table that is about 300 MB I would like to open the table then do
>multiple Seeks on it. The problem is, every time I open the table ADO puts
>the entire table into memory (killing the machine). This wasn't a problem
>when the code used DAO. Is there anyway to open a table, but access only
the
>indexes for searching?

>    I know I could open it up as a query but there would be too much
>overhead if I have about 300000 updates (which happens once a month).
>Also, I know I could use find but I would think Seek to be faster and I
also
>don't want to rewrite half of the code to account for it.
>    I'm accessing a Access97 MDB file and have MDAC2.1 installed

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Seek, Index on ADO Recordset
I Like this question. I would still like to search an index. I keep trying
no avail. I do entire record sets also, cursers get me in trouble also. What
would the ADO code look like to update every 100. Code for Indexes?
Quote:

>Jim,
>Using an Update queries will likely be must faster and easier than opening
>the entire table and using Seek, Edit, Update code. Also using a
>BeginTrans/CommitTrans around every 100 or so Updates will also improve
>speed. Some testing and tweaking may be inorder to make sure Access can
>handle your batch update without getting "confused" ;-) Hope this helps.

>Oscar Bowyer

>>I have a table that is about 300 MB I would like to open the table then do
>>multiple Seeks on it. The problem is, every time I open the table ADO puts
>>the entire table into memory (killing the machine). This wasn't a problem
>>when the code used DAO. Is there anyway to open a table, but access only
>the
>>indexes for searching?

>>    I know I could open it up as a query but there would be too much
>>overhead if I have about 300000 updates (which happens once a month).
>>Also, I know I could use find but I would think Seek to be faster and I
>also
>>don't want to rewrite half of the code to account for it.
>>    I'm accessing a Access97 MDB file and have MDAC2.1 installed

Sat, 03 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Index Property / Seek Method In Recordset

2. ADO Index property and Seek method

3. Index Property/SEEK method Problem with ADO

4. Seek - Index. ADO 2.1

5. Seek - Index. ADO 2.1

6. Index and Seek in ADO

7. ADO USING SEEK AND INDEXES