vb5/sql server slow
Author Message
 vb5/sql server slow

I'm having slow performance with a vb5/sql server 6.5 app. My test
writes 1000 records, with basically the same data in each record. When
using DAO, this test completes in about 25 seconds. When I switched to
ADO, it improved quite a bit, to about 12 seconds. The thing is, if I
use an Access database on the same server (using the JET/DAO engine),
I can write the same number or records in about 3 seconds!

Why is Access so much faster? I thought SQL server was the preferred
"high-end" DB, but if I use it, my app will be much slower.

Any comments appreciated.

Thu, 30 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 vb5/sql server slow

Quote:

> I'm having slow performance with a vb5/sql server 6.5 app. My test
> writes 1000 records, with basically the same data in each record. When
> using DAO, this test completes in about 25 seconds. When I switched to
> ADO, it improved quite a bit, to about 12 seconds. The thing is, if I
> use an Access database on the same server (using the JET/DAO engine),
> I can write the same number or records in about 3 seconds!

> Why is Access so much faster? I thought SQL server was the preferred
> "high-end" DB, but if I use it, my app will be much slower.

> Any comments appreciated.

Hi david.

 I agree with u ? But ur talking about only 1000 records and one user at
a time. Just try to use access for more then 10 user apps. Boooooom..
Just see how many time ur database corruption will happens and speed do
not ask ! U r right that when ur apps r small and there r  less then 10
user is going to use ur apps then just go for an access. Also i feel ADO
is much much faster then DAO or RDO as it has less functionality then
both of them.

kets

Tue, 04 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

2. SQL Server slower than Jet, why???

3. SQL Server slower than Access?

4. SQL Server slow on some workstations

5. Slow VB3.0 and SQL Server?

6. ODBC to SQL Server is Slow

7. SQL Server slower than Access?

8. Importing Text to SQL Server Waaaaaayyyy Too Slow!

9. Dataenvironment and SQL server slow

10. SQL Server Stored Procedure too slow ?

11. Advice with SLOW SELECTs against large SQL Server database

12. 16-bit VB 4.0 app slow accessing linked SQL Server tables