Help migrating from CLIPPER to VISUAL BASIC
Author Message
 Help migrating from CLIPPER to VISUAL BASIC

Hello,
      I just started using Visual Basic, I used to work with Clipper to write some little
data-base programs. Now I woulk like to convert  those programs in order to work in
this new enviroment.
But I didn't find yet any good example on how to use the data base capabilities:
i.e. how do I find a record ('loca for' in Clipper) ? How do I modify/Add a record ?
In Clipper it was soooo easy !

Is there any help on the net showing how to "switch" from Clipper to Visual Basic ?

Thanks to everybody.
HJ

Se vuoi un indirizzo di posta elettronica gratuito,
iscriviti a http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Posted from c000-h009.c000.muc.cp.net [209.228.29.33]
via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 02 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help migrating from CLIPPER to VISUAL BASIC
You would find it a whole lot easier to convert to Visual FoxPro.
Most of the old Clipper syntax is included in VFP.  In VB you are going to
start from scratch.

Quote:
> Hello,
>       I just started using Visual Basic, I used to work with Clipper to
write some little
> data-base programs. Now I woulk like to convert  those programs in order
to work in
> this new enviroment.
> But I didn't find yet any good example on how to use the data base
capabilities:
> i.e. how do I find a record ('loca for' in Clipper) ? How do I modify/Add
a record ?
> In Clipper it was soooo easy !

> Is there any help on the net showing how to "switch" from Clipper to
Visual Basic ?

> Thanks to everybody.
> HJ

> Se vuoi un indirizzo di posta elettronica gratuito,
> iscriviti a http://www.katamail.com

> --
> Posted from c000-h009.c000.muc.cp.net [209.228.29.33]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Sun, 02 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help migrating from CLIPPER to VISUAL BASIC
We did this several years ago.

It is important to realize that you are transitioning from a structured
programming environment to object-oriented one - a totally different
paradigm.  You can port a lot of your clipper logic; however, you need to
understand the various models (DAO, ADO, etc.) available in VB as each has
unique advantages and disadvantages.  Not only are you migrating to a
Graphical User Interface, but I assume your database backend is going to
change as well.  This decision should be based on various issues including
scalability requirements.  You have several options: Access, SQLserver,
Oracle, etc.

Since you are just starting with VB, I would recommend you experiment with
Access as your backend.  You can import your .dbf files and create tables
with an access database.  Be careful of the terminology.  An Access database
(.mdb) can contain a variety of components.  The primary component you would
be concerned with are the tables. An Access table is synonymous with a
clipper database.

Hope I haven't thoroughly confused you.

ps.  Stay away from the VB data control.

Quote:
> Hello,
>       I just started using Visual Basic, I used to work with Clipper to
write some little
> data-base programs. Now I woulk like to convert  those programs in order
to work in
> this new enviroment.
> But I didn't find yet any good example on how to use the data base
capabilities:
> i.e. how do I find a record ('loca for' in Clipper) ? How do I modify/Add
a record ?
> In Clipper it was soooo easy !

> Is there any help on the net showing how to "switch" from Clipper to
Visual Basic ?

> Thanks to everybody.
> HJ

> Se vuoi un indirizzo di posta elettronica gratuito,
> iscriviti a http://www.katamail.com

> --
> Posted from c000-h009.c000.muc.cp.net [209.228.29.33]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Sun, 02 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help migrating from CLIPPER to VISUAL BASIC
Check Out Artemis by http://www.luxent.com

We used it when we moved from Clipper to VB..

--

------------------------------------
Make a FREE long distance call from your PC!

Quote:
> Hello,
>       I just started using Visual Basic, I used to work with Clipper to
write some little
> data-base programs. Now I woulk like to convert  those programs in order
to work in
> this new enviroment.
> But I didn't find yet any good example on how to use the data base
capabilities:
> i.e. how do I find a record ('loca for' in Clipper) ? How do I modify/Add
a record ?
> In Clipper it was soooo easy !

> Is there any help on the net showing how to "switch" from Clipper to
Visual Basic ?

> Thanks to everybody.
> HJ

> Se vuoi un indirizzo di posta elettronica gratuito,
> iscriviti a http://www.katamail.com

> --
> Posted from c000-h009.c000.muc.cp.net [209.228.29.33]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Sun, 02 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help migrating from CLIPPER to VISUAL BASIC
Hi,
Been along the same road. From Cobol to Clipper. (Still miss Clipper.)

 Anyway I agree with Walt.  If your logic is correct in Clipper then it will
move across to VB.  I originally went the Fox road, but I moved on to VB
fairly quickly because I had much more control over what I wanted to do.
Do not be too dazzled about the OOP concept.  Use it only to the extent that
it works for you.  You can hold on to most of your 'structured' programming
when making the change.

The main points I came to learn were:

1) SQL queries are much more powerful than the way we had to work around
things in Clipper.  Get as much info on SQL queries as you can.

2) FORGET the concept of a record number (recno()) Approach a recordset as
if you have never heard of recno()

3) Start of with Access as your backend.  I would say move to Access2000
with DAO 3.6 as that allows record locking: earlier versions allowed only
'page' locking which could cover a number of records.

Quote:
> ps.  Stay away from the VB data control.

4) In almost every case I absolutely agree

5) I tried out a number of grids before settling on Janus Gridex 2000.  You
can do a lot with it, ever so fast.  Knocks the old TBrowse out of the ring.

Quote:
> > In Clipper it was soooo easy !

I initially thought so, too...

Good Luck
Mick O'Rourke

Sun, 09 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Help migrating from CLIPPER to VISUAL BASIC
Hi, HJ:

If you really want to get into the finer points of database programming under VB then here
is your Summer reading list. All books involve the use of ADO (the successor to DAO). The
first 2 books overlap somewhat but explanations are sometimes better in one and sometimes
better in the other.  Had to upgrade my glasses after this reading {*filter*}.

Title:  Beginning Visual Basic 6 Database Programming
Author: John Connell
ISBN:   1-861001-06-1

Title:  Database Access with Visual Basic 6
Author: Jeffrey P. McManus
ISBN:   0-672-31422-3

Title:  Beginning Visual Basic SQL Server 7.0
Author: Thearon Willis
ISBN:   1-861003-06-4

Title:  Professional ADO 2.5 Programming
Author: David Sussman, James M. Conard, Brian Matsik et. al.
ISBN:   1-861002-75-0

All books can be ordered from Amazon

Regards,
-Toby
(former Clipperhead of 16 years)

Quote:

>Hello,
>      I just started using Visual Basic, I used to work with Clipper to write some little
>data-base programs. Now I woulk like to convert  those programs in order to work in
>this new enviroment.

Sat, 15 Feb 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Seek Method (migrating from Clipper ..)

2. Clipper and Visual Basic

3. Van Clipper overstappen naar Visual basic of Delphi ?

4. visual basic and clipper - need a translation

5. Looking for a program that can easily migrate Visual Basic to the Web

6. Visual Basic and Clipper

7. Code converter betwen clipper and Visual Basic

8. Clipper 5.x and visual basic

9. Clipper 5.x and visual basic

10. Migrating from Delphi 3 to Visual Basic 5

11. Van Clipper overstappen naar Visual basic of Delphi ?

12. Migrating from QuickBasic 4.5 to Visual Basic 5.0