question reg. MS-Access database access using VB3
Author Message
 question reg. MS-Access database access using VB3

Hello,

i'm facing a particular problem accessing Access2.0 database in VB3.
i've an app which is setup on a machine which runs on win95, has 'office
for win95 (which includes Access7)', has the compatiblity layer (i don't
know whether this is required).

the app was distibuted by using the standard Setup wizard on a machine
which runs on win95, has vb3.0 + Access 2.0 + compatiblity layer.

The app when run reads/writes the database correctly, the problem arises
when i try to start a Crystal Report from within the application. The error
given is 'Error detected by database DLL'.

Can anyone please help me with this problem?

TIA.

- Atul

Sat, 24 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 question reg. MS-Access database access using VB3

: The app when run reads/writes the database correctly, the problem arises
: when i try to start a Crystal report from within the application. The error
: given is 'Error detected by database DLL'.

This error has nothing to do with the platform you are running on.
Rather it has to do with the data.  Crystal Reports does not handle Null
values in data very well, and you can get this error if you are a field
used in a formula has a Null Value.
To workaround this you could do two things:
Make sure your VB code does not allow any Null values...i.e. replace all
Null's with empty strings...
or
use the IsNull({Table1.Field1}) function in your crystal formulas so that
you avoid trying to manipulate a field value that is Null...

Sun, 25 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 question reg. MS-Access database access using VB3

Quote:
>the app was distibuted by using the standard Setup wizard on a machine
>which runs on win95, has vb3.0 + Access 2.0 + compatiblity layer.

>The app when run reads/writes the database correctly, the problem arises
>when i try to start a Crystal report from within the application. The error
>given is 'Error detected by database DLL'.

Crystal Reports also needs to be patch to use the Access 2.0 layer.

--
                                Steve DeGeorge SR
                                Sharkware Computing

Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Regarding Accessing External database using MS-Access and MS-Visual Basic

2. accessing MS access database using VB&CGI

3. ADO using MS Access with mdw system database for pw-access

4. Questions about using MS Access Database

5. Accessing MS-Access queries from VB3

6. Help on database access over a network using VB3

7. Help: How to connect to an Access database over a network using VB3

8. VB3 accessing Access 20 secure Database

9. Accessing Access 2.0 database with VB3, ODBC 2.0 and Microsotf Jet Engine Compatibility Layer

10. Accessing Access Databases with VB3

11. changinf tabledef on access 2.0 database using vb3.0 pro and comp layer

12. problem using VB3 to access Access 97