VB App slows to crawl, also TimeOut Expired 
Author Message
 VB App slows to crawl, also TimeOut Expired

Every once in a while on a few userss machines I have the VB app slow
down to almost a crawl.  I am using VB 3.0 on SQL 4.20 and the load
during the times that it slows to a crawl is just like any other time, I
can't seem to find a difference or an indication as to what is wrong.  
The rest of my users on that database don't report slow downs although
they might be having them and just ignoring it.  I also have the app
crash on me with the Timeout Expired message everyonce in a while.  It
seems to happen after these slow downs(but not all the time) and only by
resetting the whole computer can I get established back into the database
reliably.  ANy suggestions?

Jeff Fulcer



Sat, 18 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB App slows to crawl, also TimeOut Expired
jeff:

are you accessing your sql tables via "direct" odbc or using attached
tables on a jet (.mdb) file?  a while back, in vb3, the first approach
was real slow.  after switch to the attach table method, the access was a
lot better.  there was a technote on the two methodologies in the vbkb
but i don't remember much it.

-paul-

Quote:

>Every once in a while on a few userss machines I have the VB app slow
>down to almost a crawl.  I am using VB 3.0 on SQL 4.20 and the load
>during the times that it slows to a crawl is just like any other time, I
>can't seem to find a difference or an indication as to what is wrong.  
>The rest of my users on that database don't report slow downs although
>they might be having them and just ignoring it.  I also have the app
>crash on me with the Timeout Expired message everyonce in a while.  It
>seems to happen after these slow downs(but not all the time) and only by
>resetting the whole computer can I get established back into the database
>reliably.  ANy suggestions?

>Jeff Fulcer




Mon, 20 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB App slows to crawl, also TimeOut Expired

Quote:

>Every once in a while on a few userss machines I have the VB app slow
>down to almost a crawl.  I am using VB 3.0 on SQL 4.20 and the load
>during the times that it slows to a crawl is just like any other time, I
>can't seem to find a difference or an indication as to what is wrong.  
>The rest of my users on that database don't report slow downs although
>they might be having them and just ignoring it.  I also have the app
>crash on me with the Timeout Expired message everyonce in a while.  It
>seems to happen after these slow downs(but not all the time) and only by
>resetting the whole computer can I get established back into the database
>reliably.  ANy suggestions?
>Jeff Fulcer


Jeff

Solution 1

Regarding the SQL Server 4.20 issue try running a CHECKPOINT and DUMP
TRAN

Regarding the timeout error in the sub main orwhen you open your
database increase the database query time out by typeing the following

        database.QueryTimeout  = seconds

seconds is a variable the default is 60 seconds.

The ultimate solution

If you are using bound controls try and get rid of them. (This will
most certainly get rid of the lag. but requires a lot more coding.)

Derek Baird
Systems Engineer
Differentiated Startegic Solutions



Mon, 20 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB App slows to crawl, also TimeOut Expired
JF> Every once in a while on a few userss machines I have the VB app slo
JF> down to almost a crawl.  I am using VB 3.0 on SQL 4.20 and the load
JF> during the times that it slows to a crawl is just like any other tim

If you are talking about MS SQL Server 4.2, it's a bug that the
SQL server slows down now and then after being up for a few days.
Can't remember the cause of it.

Since I upgraded to SQL 6.0, I've had no further problems.

regards

Mike


---
 * RM 1.31 1470 * To any objective person it'd be obvious that I'm right.



Tue, 21 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB App slows to crawl, also TimeOut Expired

Quote:


> Jeff

> Solution 1

> Regarding the SQL Server 4.20 issue try running a CHECKPOINT and DUMP
> TRAN

   I'll try the checkpoint and killing the transaction log. Thanks.

Quote:

> Regarding the timeout error in the sub main orwhen you open your
> database increase the database query time out by typeing the following

>    database.QueryTimeout  = seconds

> seconds is a variable the default is 60 seconds.

> The ultimate solution

> If you are using bound controls try and get rid of them. (This will
> most certainly get rid of the lag. but requires a lot more coding.)

   It already doesn't have any bounds controls.  It's a screen of
dynamically allocated labels.  The error occurs when the labels are moved
around on the screen (ala Solitaire).  The error happens almost
immediately after dragging the label(which does a save to the SQL Server, so
I am not sure if it's the DB.Execute command that I had just issued to do a
save, or if it's from a previous command that just had timed out.  Any
other hints?


Tue, 21 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 VB App slows to crawl, also TimeOut Expired

Quote:


> >Every once in a while on a few userss machines I have the VB app slow
> >down to almost a crawl.  I am using VB 3.0 on SQL 4.20 and the load
> >during the times that it slows to a crawl is just like any other time, I
> >can't seem to find a difference or an indication as to what is wrong.
> >The rest of my users on that database don't report slow downs although

Jeff,

One possibility, since it is only happening on a few machines is hardware
problems. NICs that are flaky, a hub or bridge that is chattering and
interacting with marginal NICS, etc.

Mark Payton
Custom Crafted Systems, Inc.



Tue, 21 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VB 6 / SQL Server 7 App gets Timeout expired (-2147217871) about every 50 minutes

2. Timeout expired VB.net

3. Timeout Expired

4. Error # 5 Timeout expired

5. Timeout expired

6. Timeout Expired Error

7. S1T00[Microsoft][ODBC SQL SERVER DRIVER] TIMEOUT EXPIRED ?????????

8. ODBC Query Timeout expired, WHY ??

9. Error 3234: ODBC--remote query timeout expired

10. S1T00[Microsoft][ODBC SQL SERVER DRIVER] TIMEOUT EXPIRED ????

11. Timeout Expired Error!!!

12. Timeout Expired (What is causing this???)

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software