running mdb from CD-ROM?
Author Message
 running mdb from CD-ROM?

I am planing distribute my VB/Access application in CD-ROM format. The
problem I am facing is that VB creates a ldb lock file in the same
directory where the mdb file is located. CD-ROM is read only media. Is
there any way to redirect Vb to write out ldb file to local harddrive?
---------

Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 running mdb from CD-ROM?

Quote:

>I am planing distribute my VB/Access application in CD-ROM format. The
>problem I am facing is that VB creates a ldb lock file in the same
>directory where the mdb file is located. CD-ROM is read only media. Is
>there any way to redirect Vb to write out ldb file to local harddrive?
>---------

I think you can avoid the *.ldb-file if you open  the db as "exclusive",
and  "read-only".

Dag Sunde

Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 running mdb from CD-ROM?

: >I am planing distribute my VB/Access application in CD-ROM format. The
: >problem I am facing is that VB creates a ldb lock file in the same
: >directory where the mdb file is located. CD-ROM is read only media. Is
: >there any way to redirect Vb to write out ldb file to local harddrive?
: I think you can avoid the *.ldb-file if you open  the db as "exclusive",
: and  "read-only".
: Dag Sunde

There was a posting on this topic a couple of months ago. It said that the
above would work but you need to distribute a proper .ldb file on the CD
as well as your code.

The .ldb file *must* be created by opening up the database in read-write
(I can't remember if it was exclusive or shared mode), then quit.

Distribute the .mdb and the .ldb file file together and get your setup
program to open the database exclusive and read only and it *should*
work.

All of this is from memory so I recommend you get some other authority
(not MicroSoft *grin*) to confirm what I'm telling you.

Also, test it beforehand.

HTH

Jon Paine
*     Jon(athan) Paine      * Phone: + 44 (0)1865 735422       *
* Computer Systems Officer  * Fax:   + 44 (0)1865 736374       *
*    Templeton  College     * E-Mail:                          *

*   The Duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a   *
*   clock, it regularly went CUCKOO...                         *
*                               Terry Pratchett - Wyrd Sisters *

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 running mdb from CD-ROM?

Quote:

>I am planing distribute my VB/Access application in CD-ROM format. The
>problem I am facing is that VB creates a ldb lock file in the same
>directory where the mdb file is located. CD-ROM is read only media. Is
>there any way to redirect Vb to write out ldb file to local harddrive?
>---------

Here's the definitive answer (done it myself).  To open an Access 2.0
database on a CD-ROM you must open the database exclusively and read-only.
You cannot open it any other way than this.  You do not need to include a
"dummy" .LDB file on the CD-ROM.  This goes for any read-only
directories/drives/shares.

In regards to the .LDB, no, you cannot redirect it.  If it needs to be
created, it has to go in the same directory as the database file.  Believe me
I've tried everything to change it.  It's really too bad.

Justin Smith

Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Accessing file from one CD-ROM in a multiple CD-ROM system

2. How to change Multi Media CD-ROM in two or more CD-ROM system

3. problem opening mdb from CD-ROM

4. opening one mdb file from a CD-ROM in VB5

5. opening a mdb file from a CD-ROM with VB5

6. Opening an MDB file on a CD-ROM

7. help w/ cd-rom and cd-r/cd-rw program, please

8. Running a VB4 application accessing JET DB without installation (from CD-ROM)

9. Running VB EXE on load of CD-ROM

10. Auto Run a Program on CD Rom Insertion ?

11. Running VB Created Program from CD-ROM only

12. Running an Application Directly from a CD-ROM