Printing to a pre-printed form
Author Message
 Printing to a pre-printed form

I have a simple customer database in Access 2.0; nothing fancy.
However, I need to print out customer data to pre-printed forms.
I'm not sure how to fit text into boxes in the forms.  Can I do it with
Access Basic or do I need some other software?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Rico

Sat, 03 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing to a pre-printed form

Quote:

>I need to print out customer data to pre-printed forms.
>I'm not sure how to fit text into boxes in the forms.
>Rico

Rico-

It sounds like what you want is the OnFormat property.  For each text
box in your report, determine the number of characters which will print
into a given width, and then change the font accordingly.  For
instance:

select case len([myfield])
    case 0 to 10
        myfield.fontsize = 10
    case 10 to 15
        myfield.fontsize = 9
    case 15 to 20
        myfield.fontsize = 8
    case else
        myfield.fontsize = 6
end select

This code is totally untested, and I recommend you look up all of the
following in the online help:  On Format, Select Case, Fontsize len().
Also be quite aware that the length of the box on your form will affect
the numbers in the select case statement.  And as a final warning,
unless you are using a fixed width font, words like "iiiii" will be
much narrower than words like "wwwww".

Hope this helps!

-Steve Paltiel
 Third Base Data

 2430 Prospect, Suite 208 * Berkeley, CA  94704-2548 * (510) 849-2201
 http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~paltiel/3rdbase.html (server problems)

Sat, 03 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing to a pre-printed form
The best solution that I heard is to scan a blank form.  Paste the
graphic into a report and position all the fields into the blanks.
Delete the graphic.  You will need to fiddle with the margins to get
things to line up.

Quote:
>I have a simple customer database in Access 2.0; nothing fancy.
>However, I need to print out customer data to pre-printed forms.
>I'm not sure how to fit text into boxes in the forms.  Can I do it
with
>Access Basic or do I need some other software?

>Thanks for any suggestions.
>Rico

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing to a pre-printed form

Another approach, which I recently used:

printer.scalemode = 5   ' inches
oldfontsize = printer.fontsize
do until printer.textwidth(text1.text) < spaceallowed
        if printer.textwidth(text1.text) > spaceallowed then
                fntsize = fntsize - .1
        end if
loop
printer.currentx = left_text_desitnation
printer.currenty = bottom_text_destination _
-printer.fontheight("I")              ' note continuation above
printer.print text1.text
printer.fontsize = oldfontsize

:>
:>I need to print out customer data to pre-printed forms.
:>I'm not sure how to fit text into boxes in the forms.
:>Rico

:Rico-

:It sounds like what you want is the OnFormat property.  For each text
:box in your report, determine the number of characters which will print
:into a given width, and then change the font accordingly.
Mesmer                          John Harrington, C.Ht.
                                Tampa, FL

Tue, 06 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Printing to a pre-printed form

Quote:

>>I have a simple customer database in Access 2.0; nothing fancy.
>>However, I need to print out customer data to pre-printed forms.
>>I'm not sure how to fit text into boxes in the forms.  Can I do it
>with
>>Access Basic or do I need some other software?

>>Thanks for any suggestions.
>>Rico
>The best solution that I heard is to scan a blank form.  Paste the
>graphic into a report and position all the fields into the blanks.
>Delete the graphic.  You will need to fiddle with the margins to get
>things to line up.

I just had to write in to say that this solution is S-O-O-O sharp!  In
combination with Steve Paltiel's len() it'll work fine.  I've been
struggling with this kind of thing in the word processing world for 8
years; now I'll be able to design some small, custom db form apps for
clients who don't want to invest big-time in INforms and other e-forms
packages.  Grrrreat!

Tue, 06 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to print on a preprinted form?

2. Printing to a pre-printed forms.

3. Printing to a Pre-printed Form

4. URGENT!!!: How to print to Pre-Printed Form

5. Can Crystal Report print a pre-printed form?

6. URGENT!! : How to print to Pre-Printed Forms

7. how to print in pre-printed invoice

8. Printing on pre printed stationery

9. Printing Preprint Forms ?

10. How to Print on PrePrinted Form (like invoice..)

11. application for pre-printed forms

12. Help on aligning pre-printed forms with NEC Pinwriter P2000