ODBC--remote query timout expired
Author Message
 ODBC--remote query timout expired

Hi VB experts,

I have a VB application which uses ODBC to connect to a Sybase SQL server. My
VB application triggers a Sybase Stored Procedure. However, if the stored
procedure takes too long to execute (say more than 15mins), then I get the
following error at the VB side:

       ODBC -- remote query timeout expired    (Error 3234)

I have used isql to check the Sybase Server, and found out the stored
procedure had been successfully completed. Therefore problem is not on the
Sybase side. I think the problem is the timeout tolerence VB is too small.

My Sybase stored procedure has to update tens of thousands of records so 10
to 15 mins of execution time is expected.  Is there a way to increase the
timeout tolerance of VB?

I am using Microsoft TCP (Win32) network setup, Microsoft ODBC Driver and
Sybase winsocket db library (.dll files) as Open Client connection. My Sybase
server is a System 10.01 running on a SCO SVR4 Unix (Intel Pentium P90)
machine.

Thanks in advance and your generous help is much appreciated.

Edward

Mon, 08 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC--remote query timout expired

>My Sybase stored procedure has to update tens of thousands of records so 10
>to 15 mins of execution time is expected.  Is there a way to increase the
>timeout tolerance of VB?

Several settings can be made in you vb.ini or <appname.ini>.
(I have never used them but I have listed a few below.)

     RmtTrace           Use asynchronous query execution, if possible,
                        and don't trace ODBC APU calls (value 0)

     QueryTimeout       The maximum time allowed to complete a query
                        (in seconds)

     LoginTimeout       The maximum time allowed to complete logging into
                        the database (in seconds)

     ConnectionTimeout  The idle time before the Access engine will automatically
                        close a connection (in seconds)

Good luck!

JJ

Tue, 09 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC--remote query timout expired

Quote:

>Hi VB experts,

>I have a VB application which uses ODBC to connect to a Sybase SQL
server. My
>VB application triggers a Sybase Stored Procedure. However, if the stored
>procedure takes too long to execute (say more than 15mins), then I get
the
>following error at the VB side:

>       ODBC -- remote query timeout expired    (Error 3234)

Try setting the QueryTimeout property of the database object to a larger
value: db.QueryTimeout = 9000   or so or however many seconds you need.
Or if you set it to 0 then there is no timeout.

Good luck.

Tue, 09 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Error 3234: ODBC--remote query timeout expired

2. 2147217871 Timout expired error

3. ODBC Query Timeout expired, WHY ??

4. S1T00[Microsoft][ODBC SQL SERVER DRIVER] TIMEOUT EXPIRED ?????????

5. Password Expiring with ODBC Version 2.12

6. S1T00[Microsoft][ODBC SQL SERVER DRIVER] TIMEOUT EXPIRED ????

7. [ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout Expired

8. ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout Expired

9. Timeout Expired Error With SQL server ODBC

10. Timeout Expired Error With SQL server ODBC

11. ODBC SQL Server Driver Timeout expired

12. [ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired