How do I store an empty date on a date field (MS Access)
Author Message
 How do I store an empty date on a date field (MS Access)

Good question. There is no "empty" date. In the database where the data is
stored you can place a NULL if you have allowed NULLs in the column.
Otherwise, use the date Dec. 30, 1899 (Access) or Jan. 1, 1900 (SQL Server)
or whatever your particular DB uses as its beginning date, and program
around it. That is, when the date is equal to 0, display or print
differently than when it has a "real" date in it.
This all assumes you don't ever USE the beginning date. If you are doing
geneologies or historical data only the NULL method will be of any use.
HTH
--
Gary (MCT, MCPS, MCSD)
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~garyl/  for references to good books

ICQ 6375624

Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I store an empty date on a date field (MS Access)
Also remember that 'negative' numbers can return dates in access, that
is you can use dates prior to Dec 30, 1899, at least for access97.
Quote:

> Good question. There is no "empty" date. In the database where the data is
> stored you can place a NULL if you have allowed NULLs in the column.
> Otherwise, use the date Dec. 30, 1899 (Access) or Jan. 1, 1900 (SQL Server)
> or whatever your particular DB uses as its beginning date, and program
> around it. That is, when the date is equal to 0, display or print
> differently than when it has a "real" date in it.
> This all assumes you don't ever USE the beginning date. If you are doing
> geneologies or historical data only the NULL method will be of any use.
> HTH
> --
> Gary (MCT, MCPS, MCSD)
> http://www.enter.net/~garyl/  for references to good books

> ICQ 6375624

Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. vb6 date variables comparing with access date fields returns always empty recordset

2. ADO with Access Date/Time field not storing the time, just the date

3. MS-ACCESS query date problem + date formatting in datagrid

4. ms-access - delete old dates and change dates

5. Want to store blank date in MS Access

6. Selecting Date Fields that fall between two dates in Access

7. Null date values in Date/Time fields in Access DB

8. How do you update a null date into an access table date field

9. Insert date and time field into MS Access with SQL

10. deleting date-field in vb6 with ms access

11. CRW with MS Access 2.0 date/time fields

12. MS Access Date/Time Field in Crystal