sequential add to access 97/vb4/32 database
Author Message
 sequential add to access 97/vb4/32 database

we are having a large number of locking problems when over 6 users are
adding records.  We have many users querying the database in addition to
data entry.
has anyone else experienced performance problems like this?

NT4.0/Visual Basic 4.0 32-bit/access 97
64Meg RAM, 200 mhz pent/6 users adding/updating records 25 - 30 users
inquiring
120,000 customers/250.000 transactions

Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 sequential add to access 97/vb4/32 database

I worked on a Point of Sale project where we had similar problems. We had
20 terminals and during busy times every body would get locked out. The
only way to unlock was to kill the process that was the culprit.

E.G. "Couldn't Save currently locked by user <whoever> on machine
<whatever>"

We would have to go to machine <whatever> and kill the process to unlock
the other terminals. More times then not, however, this would corrupt the
databases.

We banged our heads for two weeks trying to figure out what was causing
these problems.

Finally we re-installed our software onto a Win95 Server and all the
problems went away (And I mean ALL of them)

Our customer was using NT4.0 as well. We contacted Microsoft and they
acknowledged this problem.

Try it!!!
--

Kim Dobranski

Quote:
> we are having a large number of locking problems when over 6 users are
> adding records.  We have many users querying the database in addition to
> data entry.
> has anyone else experienced performance problems like this?

> NT4.0/visual basic 4.0 32-bit/access 97
> 64Meg RAM, 200 mhz pent/6 users adding/updating records 25 - 30 users
> inquiring
> 120,000 customers/250.000 transactions

Tue, 02 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Distribution files for VB4-32/Access 97

2. Office 97 breaks vb4-32 application -- Error 3041

3. New bug found in VB5 / VB4 32-bit and Office 97 VBA

4. Fastest MDB Database Access from VB4/32

5. Deleting a table from Access database - VB4 32 Pro

6. Unable to open Access 2.0 database from VB4-32

7. Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit

8. Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit

9. add a item to a database Access 97

10. Connect 16-bit VB app to 32-bit Access 97 DB

11. Database Access 97 and VB4

12. Can VB4 16bit Use Access 97 as Database