Accessing A Secure MDB
Author Message
 Accessing A Secure MDB

Anyone out there have sample code or some tips on gaining design/data
access to a secure MDB file that may have been encrypted where the ldb
and mdb files are both present.

I have C++, VB 4.0 Enterprise, Access 1.1/2/7 and Access Developers
Toolkit.

Many thanks in advance.
--
Nigel John Sweet
Harlequin Software Ltd

Tue, 03 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessing A Secure MDB

Quote:

> Anyone out there have sample code or some tips on gaining design/data
> access to a secure MDB file that may have been encrypted where the ldb
> and mdb files are both present.

> I have C++, VB 4.0 Enterprise, Access 1.1/2/7 and Access Developers
> Toolkit.

> Many thanks in advance.
> --
> Nigel John Sweet
> Harlequin Software Ltd

Here is a sample from a working applications

- I first get the location of the Access INI file
- which must contain the SystemDB pointing to the correct MDA file

    gINIFile = App.Path & "\CONVEYOR.INI"

- I then ensure that VB knows about this INI file before
- it opens the database

    SetDataAccessOption DB_OPTIONINIPATH, gINIFile

- I then log on a a user (I could prompt for userid+pwd here)

    SetDefaultWorkspace "user", ""

- finnaly, open up the database, with as much security as
- I have set up from Access
    Set Db = OpenDatabase(App.Path & "\ConveyP.MDB")

HOpe that this helps

Roger

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessing A Secure MDB

Quote:

> Anyone out there have sample code or some tips on gaining design/data
> access to a secure MDB file that may have been encrypted where the ldb
> and mdb files are both present.

> I have C++, VB 4.0 Enterprise, Access 1.1/2/7 and Access Developers
> Toolkit.

> Many thanks in advance.
> --
> Nigel John Sweet
> Harlequin Software Ltd

Here is a sample from a working applications

- I first get the location of the Access INI file
- which must contain the SystemDB pointing to the correct MDA file

    gINIFile = App.Path & "\CONVEYOR.INI"

- I then ensure that VB knows about this INI file before
- it opens the database

    SetDataAccessOption DB_OPTIONINIPATH, gINIFile

- I then log on a a user (I could prompt for userid+pwd here)

    SetDefaultWorkspace "user", ""

- finnaly, open up the database, with as much security as
- I have set up from Access
    Set Db = OpenDatabase(App.Path & "\ConveyP.MDB")

HOpe that this helps

Roger

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessing A Secure MDB

In VB4, instead of  SetDataAccessOption DB_OPTIONINIPATH, gINIFile you
use DBENGINE.INIPATH, you then need to set up the DEFAULT USER &
PASSWORD, to the user that you are going to logon as, before creating
a workspace.

I have code that does this in VB4 16bit, if you need an example.

JP

Quote:

>> Anyone out there have sample code or some tips on gaining design/data
>> access to a secure MDB file that may have been encrypted where the ldb
>> and mdb files are both present.

>> I have C++, VB 4.0 Enterprise, Access 1.1/2/7 and Access Developers
>> Toolkit.

>> Many thanks in advance.
>> --
>> Nigel John Sweet
>> Harlequin Software Ltd
>Here is a sample from a working applications
>- I first get the location of the Access INI file
>- which must contain the SystemDB pointing to the correct MDA file
>    gINIFile = App.Path & "\CONVEYOR.INI"
>- I then ensure that VB knows about this INI file before
>- it opens the database
>    SetDataAccessOption DB_OPTIONINIPATH, gINIFile
>- I then log on a a user (I could prompt for userid+pwd here)
>    SetDefaultWorkspace "user", ""
>- finnaly, open up the database, with as much security as
>- I have set up from Access
>    Set Db = OpenDatabase(App.Path & "\ConveyP.MDB")
>HOpe that this helps
>Roger

3(f) Eden Vale Road          Phone: 4972217
Ranelagh                     Fax  : 4972217 (Please ring first)
Dublin 6                 Home Page: www.iol.ie/~jp
Ireland

Thu, 12 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Accessing A Secure MDB

Hey JP,

I was ready to post a help request for accessing a secured Access DB
from a VB app but I see someone else has been having similar problems.

Your response made sense to me but there's one piece I don't quite
get.  It has to do with the INI file.  Here's what you wrote regarding
this:

Quote:
>- I first get the location of the Access INI file
>- which must contain the SystemDB pointing to the correct MDA file
>    gINIFile = App.Path & "\CONVEYOR.INI"

When you say "Access INI file" you don't mean one that was created
by or supplied with Access do you?  I took it to mean the INI file I
create which is associated with the VB app I building.  Also, in the
INI file itself, how is the section to be labelled?  For example:

        [Put something here...]
        SystemDB=C:\MSOFFICE\ACCESS\SYSTEM.MDA

What goes in the brackets.  "Options" perhaps??? And is the
"SystemDB=..." part right?

I would really appreciate any help.  I'm spent TOO much time trying
to open the secured DB and any further advise you have would be
great.  Thanks for your time.

Dan Abler

Sat, 21 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Accessing a secure MDB from VB5

2. VB4 Forms Designer 'Connect String'-what to enter for Access 7 secured MDB?

3. VB4 Forms Designer 'Connect String'-what to enter for Access 7 secured MDB?

4. Securing an Access MDB-file

5. secure access mdb, HOW!!!???

6. Connect Problems using ADO on a secured Access mdb

7. Secure Access MDB, HOW?

8. Launching Access for a secured MDB

9. Can't create reports from a secured Access 97 .mdb

10. Connect String for Secured Access mdb

11. accessing records in one secure DB from another secure DB - programatically

12. TransferDatabase method from Access 95 mdb to Access 97 mdb