Serial data transfer...HOW?
Author Message
 Serial data transfer...HOW?

Does anyone know how to address the serial ports ( com1, com2 ect... ) in a Visual Basic program?

I just bought Visual Basic standard edition for 95 ( never used VB before ) and the manual/on-line help does
not touch on this topic. If the explaination is too involved, how about a pointing me toward some documentation
of VB and the serial ports...

Thanks,

Anthony M Walter

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Serial data transfer...HOW?

Use custom control MSCOMM.OCX

Peter Larsson

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Serial data transfer...HOW?

Quote:
> Does anyone know how to address the serial ports ( com1, com2 ect... )

in a Visual Basic program?
Quote:

> I just bought Visual Basic standard edition for 95 ( never used VB

before ) and the manual/on-line help does
Quote:
> not touch on this topic. If the explaination is too involved, how about

a pointing me toward some documentation

Quote:
> of VB and the serial ports...

> Thanks,

> Anthony M Walter

Try opening the port the same way you would a file.  For example:

Open "COM2" For Input as #1

...opens COM2 and allows you to read the port.

You might want to write a class that encapsulates the functionality of the
port since reading and writing from and to the port require file pointers
that are open with different types of access modes.

Sun, 06 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help Required With Serial Data Transfer

2. Data Transfer over Serial Interface (V.24 / RS232)

3. Question about transferring data through serial port!

4. Monitoring Data Transfer of Internet Transfer Contol

5. Serial port/modem access/file transfer in VB

6. Serial file transfer

7. serial file transfer HELP!!! :^)

8. VB/Intel 8751/Multiprocessing Communication/9-bit serial transfer

9. serial port files transfer

10. DLL for reading serial port data

11. help on a serial port data flow

12. read data from serial port using vba for Access