Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7
Author Message
 Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7

I'm moving from DAO to SS7 and have a BIG problem.
Generally:
 I need to open a recordset and quickly search for a row in it so I can
later use .move from that row.
Example:
Customer table with Name_Last, Name_First, Name_Initial and an index
using those fields.
I want to move the cursor to the first row containing Smith, John Q.
then move forward or backward as needed.
The Problem:
Opens using client side cursor takes ~ 20 sec (15,000 rows) but .find is
quick
[I use a sequence of .find's since MS in their infinite wisdom only
allow searching by one criteria(field) at a time]
Opens using server side cursor are fast but then the .find takes ~ 20
sec

Mon, 15 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow, slow, slow search on VB6, ADO and SS7
For speedy database access, I only create recordsets that
contain the minimum amount of data needed. So for example,
if I need a record for John X. Smith, I don't retrieve all
20,000 records on my table and then search for John X
within that recordset. Instead I use a SQL Select statement
with a WHERE clause to get just the fields I need and just
the record for this person.

Select address1, address2, city, state, zip, phone from
my_table where firstname = 'John' and middlelinit = 'X' and
lastname = 'Smith'

Quote:

> --------------3046B76C5A2C2A1986616225
> I'm moving from DAO to SS7 and have a BIG problem.
> Generally:
>  I need to open a recordset and quickly search for a
> row in it so I can
> later use .move from that row.
> Example:
> Customer table with Name_Last, Name_First,
> Name_Initial and an index
> using those fields.
> I want to move the cursor to the first row containing
> Smith, John Q.
> then move forward or backward as needed.
> The Problem:
> Opens using client side cursor takes ~ 20 sec (15,000
> rows) but .find is
> quick
> [I use a sequence of .find's since MS in their
> infinite wisdom only
> allow searching by one criteria(field) at a time]
> Opens using server side cursor are fast but then the
> .find takes ~ 20
> sec
> --------------3046B76C5A2C2A1986616225
> <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0
> transitional//en">
> I'm moving from DAO to SS7 and have a BIG problem.
> search for a row in it
> so I can later use .move from that row.
> Name_Initial and an index
> using those fields.
> containing Smith, John Q.
> then move forward or backward as needed.
> (15,000 rows) but .find
> is quick
> infinite wisdom only
> allow searching by one criteria(field) at a time]
> the .find takes ~
> 20 sec</html>
> --------------3046B76C5A2C2A1986616225--

Sat, 20 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB4 is slow..slow....slow

2. Insert into SQL Server slow, slow, slow...

3. SLOW - ADO ASP FOXPRO CDX - SLOW

4. MSDE VB6 ADO - search on recordset very slow.

5. It gets slower and slower.....

6. VB6,Access97,ODBC,ADO too slow

7. VB6.Access97,ODBC,ADO too slow

8. Slow connection Access 97 - VB6 - ADO on lan

9. slow search and replace...

10. Contact Search Speed - To damn slow

11. Slow Searching Text File / String

12. Search text in 50,000 rows, slow?