User-defined error when the user doesn't define any errors
Author Message
 User-defined error when the user doesn't define any errors

I have a rather maddening problem.  Occassionally
my VB3 application pops up an Error #2004 during
some database manipulation.  Typing out the error
message in the debug window with "print error(2004)"
gives me simply, "User-defined Error."

I have not defined any errors in my program.  The
actual line where this is occurring looks like
this:

db.Execute "UPDATE * FROM gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"

  where "db" is just an Access 1.1 database with
a table called "gtus" and an Integer field called
"New" that I want to set False for all records.
Seems like a pretty inocuous statement, eh?

How can a VB application generate an error that it
claims was defined by me???  All ideas/suggestions
welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

Sun, 21 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined error when the user doesn't define any errors

these mellifluous words, full of wisdom and thoughtful reflections:

Quote:
>!<I have a rather maddening problem.  Occassionally
>!<my VB3 application pops up an Error #2004 during
>!<some database manipulation.  Typing out the error
>!<message in the debug window with "print error(2004)"
>!<gives me simply, "User-defined Error."
>!<I have not defined any errors in my program.  The
>!<actual line where this is occurring looks like
>!<this:
>!<db.Execute "UPDATE * FROM gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"
>!<  where "db" is just an Access 1.1 database with
>!<a table called "gtus" and an Integer field called
>!<"New" that I want to set False for all records.
>!<Seems like a pretty inocuous statement, eh?
>!<How can a VB application generate an error that it
>!<claims was defined by me???  All ideas/suggestions
>!<welcome and appreciated.
>!<Thanks,
>!<Kirk

Your SQL string is syntactically incorrect. The 'user' is the ODBC driver, who
is external to VB.

Try this:

db.Execute "UPDATE gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"

Mon, 22 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 User-defined error when the user doesn't define any errors

these mellifluous words, full of wisdom and thoughtful reflections:

Quote:
>!<I have a rather maddening problem.  Occassionally
>!<my VB3 application pops up an Error #2004 during
>!<some database manipulation.  Typing out the error
>!<message in the debug window with "print error(2004)"
>!<gives me simply, "User-defined Error."
>!<I have not defined any errors in my program.  The
>!<actual line where this is occurring looks like
>!<this:
>!<db.Execute "UPDATE * FROM gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"
>!<  where "db" is just an Access 1.1 database with
>!<a table called "gtus" and an Integer field called
>!<"New" that I want to set False for all records.
>!<Seems like a pretty inocuous statement, eh?
>!<How can a VB application generate an error that it
>!<claims was defined by me???  All ideas/suggestions
>!<welcome and appreciated.
>!<Thanks,
>!<Kirk

Your SQL string is syntactically incorrect. The 'user' is the ODBC driver, who
is external to VB.

Try this:

db.Execute "UPDATE gtus SET New = False WHERE New = True"

Mon, 22 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. run-time error '713': Application-defined or object-defined error

2. Compile Error: User-defined type not defined

3. Compile Error - User defined type not defined

4. Compile Error - User-Defined type not defined

5. User-Defined type not defined error (MAPI.Session)

6. Compile error: User-defined data type not defined!

7. user defined type not defined error help please

8. User-Defined type not defined error (MAPI.Session)

9. ComctlLib; compiler error: User-defined type not defined

10. Help!!-NEWBIE - Application Wizard -(WROX BOOK) Error- User defined type not defined

11. Error: User-defined type not defined

12. Compile error: User-defined type not defined