Slow Foxpro Access Using VB 4.0 DAO
Author Message
 Slow Foxpro Access Using VB 4.0 DAO

Hi, I'm working in VB 4.0 using DA0 and am trying to access a Foxpro
database through an attached table. My problem is that it's really slow.
Does anyone have any tips?
        Thanks,
Erik

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Foxpro Access Using VB 4.0 DAO

Quote:
> Hi, I'm working in VB 4.0 using DA0 and am trying to access a Foxpro
> database through an attached table. My problem is that it's really slow.
> Does anyone have any tips?
>    Thanks,
> Erik

I think VB uses ODBC to access the Foxpro table, and ODBC is allways slow
(I'm a foxpro programmer and I know the foxpro table isn't slow in foxpro
:-)

Tue, 04 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Foxpro Access Using VB 4.0 DAO

What is slow? everything?

I am using Fox 2.5 db w/60,000 + records and it is not slow.  If you
are referring to a query, then you need to optimize your database
(i.e. index fields which you will be doing alot of queries on).

Good Luck

Quote:
>Hi, I'm working in VB 4.0 using DA0 and am trying to access a Foxpro
>database through an attached table. My problem is that it's really slow.
>Does anyone have any tips?
>    Thanks,
>Erik

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Foxpro Access Using VB 4.0 DAO

I found the same thing.  I have become very used to FoxPro's SQL query
speed and VB 4.0 just doesn't cut it.  I tried alot of things and I finally
decided to use the native VB 4.0 .MDB format for my databases instead of
FoxPro's .DBF format.

--

Tom Conner

Systems Wireless, Ltd.
703-471-7887
703-437-1107 fax

http://www.swl.com

Fri, 07 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Slow Foxpro Access Using VB 4.0 DAO

I'm just using the dbForwardOnly property in OpenRecordset and just using
MoveNext and not doing anything else. It's processing about 200 records per
second over a 10baseT network, and I'm accessing a database of about
150,000 records.
This is about 12 minutes. If I'm actually doing what I want to do with the
records instead of just using MoveNext, it processes about 100 records per
second. Any Ideas? Thanks.

Quote:

> What is slow? everything?

> I am using Fox 2.5 db w/60,000 + records and it is not slow.  If you
> are referring to a query, then you need to optimize your database
> (i.e. index fields which you will be doing alot of queries on).

> Good Luck

Sat, 08 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Slow Access to Foxpro DB in VB 4.0 using DAO

2. 8 character limitation on foxpro filenames being linked to Access using DAO

3. Word to Access Automation using DAO is slow

4. DAO Registration for VB5/MS-Access 7 using Setup Factory 4.0

5. 16-bit VB 4.0 app slow accessing linked SQL Server tables

6. SLOW - ADO ASP FOXPRO CDX - SLOW

7. Converting JET 3.51(97) To Jet 4.0(2000) Using DAO In VB 5

8. Acces DAO using VB 4.0 problem

9. VB 4.0, Access 95, DAO: Recordset.Edit / Update problem

10. VB 4.0, Access 7, DAO: Recordset.Edit / Update problem

11. Accessing FoxPro using VB 6.0 SP3

12. Slow access time when using Data control to Access Database