Data List
Author Message
 Data List

I have an ADO Data Control on a form with a working connection to the data
source.  I am using a Data Bound List/Combo Box control on the form, and its
DataSource property is set to the ADO Data Control.  The objective is to
display all records from the source in the drop down list for user selection.
However, when the combo box is opened, only the first record from the data
source is displayed.  Also, when I try to edit the RecordSource property for
the combo box I get the following message:  "No compatible data source was
found for this control.  Please add an intrinsic data control or a remote data
control to the form."  What is the oversight?  Using VB 6.0 on Win XP.

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:34:50 GMT
 Data List
I am messing around with this myself.

I think you are using the data bound list controls and not the data list
control.   Try replacing the components.

I think the ones you are using are for use with the dao or rdo and not the
newer ado control.  I assume the datalist control was designed for use with
ado and the ones you are using are older.

Jess

Quote:
> I have an ADO Data Control on a form with a working connection to the data
> source.  I am using a Data Bound List/Combo Box control on the form, and
its
> DataSource property is set to the ADO Data Control.  The objective is to
> display all records from the source in the drop down list for user
selection.
> However, when the combo box is opened, only the first record from the data
> source is displayed.  Also, when I try to edit the RecordSource property
for
> the combo box I get the following message:  "No compatible data source was
> found for this control.  Please add an intrinsic data control or a remote
data
> control to the form."  What is the oversight?  Using VB 6.0 on Win XP.

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:52:17 GMT
 Data List
The data controls seem ok for selecting data and displaying it in a datagrid
for displyay / editing.  I had problems retrieving other fields from the
selected data for other use such as creating an order etc..

I have now used the standard list box control and combos.  Used the form
load event to fill them with the appropriate ado control data including item
data storing the primary key value.  Now the onclick metod on the list box,
I update the ado recordsource to select only the listindex itemdata value
(primary key).  Binding text boxes elsewhere the database can be edited, but
I can now also have the values to use in variables and whatever else I want
to do.  Data integrity remains as I am always reloading the ado control and
so far so good.

I am working on a school project myself, so if you find better methods or
can see future problems with this method I would appreciate pointing them
out.  Seems to be working so far.

I also found that doubling up 2 ado controls to 2 tables to allow selection
of a dattalist control display the related fields in another datagrid
control while keeping the full list in the datalist, messed up the click
event.  I could no longer remain in the datalist and move up and down using
the arrow keys.

Anyone else notice this or have I done something wrong??  It worked okk
apart from that.

Jess

Quote:
> I have an ADO Data Control on a form with a working connection to the data
> source.  I am using a Data Bound List/Combo Box control on the form, and
its
> DataSource property is set to the ADO Data Control.  The objective is to
> display all records from the source in the drop down list for user
selection.
> However, when the combo box is opened, only the first record from the data
> source is displayed.  Also, when I try to edit the RecordSource property
for
> the combo box I get the following message:  "No compatible data source was
> found for this control.  Please add an intrinsic data control or a remote
data
> control to the form."  What is the oversight?  Using VB 6.0 on Win XP.

Wed, 06 Oct 2004 17:32:32 GMT

1. Can't copy data from data list into datagrid

2. How to show Data List with data environment

3. empty data list / data grid on NT4, but fine on Windows98

4. data List Problem

5. Data List

6. Data List Help

7. Data List

8. Bound Data List

9. Dynamic Data List Box (how to get one)

10. 16-Bit Data List Box

11. Bind Data/List to Recordset

12. Wierd...refreshing ADO control and data list....