DAO novice questions
Author Message
 DAO novice questions

Is there a way to insert a record rather than add at the end of a table.
How does one sort a table as in dBase "sort on" ?

Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DAO novice questions
Ray,
When using the Jet database engine, the programmer should not be
concerned about the record order in the database.  When you query
the database, you can add "order by mysortfield" to get the records
in the desired order.  If you absolutely want the records in order,
you can use a primary key to maintain the apparent order.  Jet doesn't
support a insert after method that I know about.
Armstead Feland
Quote:

> Is there a way to insert a record rather than add at the end of a table.
> How does one sort a table as in dBase "sort on" ?

Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DAO novice questions
Thanks for the input. I have older applications that require the physical
order to be correct so have a very slow swapping technique to change the
physical order. Wanted something that performed well. It is a dBase III
database accessed by DOS applications as well as VB.
Quote:

>Ray,
>When using the Jet database engine, the programmer should not be
>concerned about the record order in the database.  When you query
>the database, you can add "order by mysortfield" to get the records
>in the desired order.  If you absolutely want the records in order,
>you can use a primary key to maintain the apparent order.  Jet doesn't
>support a insert after method that I know about.
>Armstead Feland

>> Is there a way to insert a record rather than add at the end of a table.
>> How does one sort a table as in dBase "sort on" ?

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DAO novice questions
Surely we are missing something here. I would be very surprized that VB
lacks a capability that exists in 1987-88 era dBase, Clipper... support. If
true VB sure isn't ready for prime time in handling database applications.
Perhaps I am a bigot;)

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DAO novice questions

Quote:

> Surely we are missing something here. I would be very surprized that VB
> lacks a capability that exists in 1987-88 era dBase, Clipper... support. If
> true VB sure isn't ready for prime time in handling database applications.
> Perhaps I am a bigot;)

Why do you need to know the physical ordering? If you're opening a Table-
type recordset, use an index to set the ordering. Otherwise, use an ORDER
BY clause in your query.

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DAO novice questions

Quote:

>> Surely we are missing something here. I would be very surprized that VB
>> lacks a capability that exists in 1987-88 era dBase, Clipper... support.
If
>> true VB sure isn't ready for prime time in handling database
applications.
>> Perhaps I am a bigot;)

>Why do you need to know the physical ordering? If you're opening a Table-
>type recordset, use an index to set the ordering. Otherwise, use an ORDER
>BY clause in your query.

Old applications use the tables. Dbase format. Currently maintained by dBase
applications and Access that we would like to convert and extend with VB if
possible, otherwise Delphi or another more capable database handling
environment. VB preferred, if it will do the job, for maintainablilty and
standardization.

Quote:

>--

<http://www.xenu.net/>
Quote:
>WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're   coming
>because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away, ha
ha!

Fri, 11 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. DAO 3.51 to DAO 3.6 NULLs question

2. Novice Ref Question

3. question from an Access novice

4. Creating User Forms - Novice question

5. Question from VBA novice re True and False values in VBA code for Word97

6. Unable to return ouput parameters to VB.net component - novice question

7. Return values from VB.net component - Novice Question

8. VB Interface Implementation - Novice Question

9. question from novice: Superscripting

10. Novice question on KeyPress

11. Novice question about Stored Procedures

12. Novice needs help with Dynaset question