Multi-User DB Question
Author Message
 Multi-User DB Question

Hello,
        I've written a single-user database application using VB6/DAO/JET. I'm
considering converting it to a multi-user application, but I have no experience
in developing multi-user apps with DAO/JET. At most there would be only two
users accessing the database at any given time, but they will be in different
states (Illinois and Arizona).  I would like each user to be able to read and
write to the database anytime they want. So I'm wondering if it is possible to
store the database on an internet server and have each user access the database
via their internet connection. Is this even possible?  If so, how?  I'm a
(somewhat) experienced developer but this is a topic I haven't touched till

Thu, 01 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Multi-User DB Question

Quote:

>in developing multi-user apps with DAO/JET. At most there would be only two
>users accessing the database at any given time, but they will be in different
>states (Illinois and Arizona).  I would like each user to be able to read and
>write to the database anytime they want. So I'm wondering if it is possible to
>store the database on an internet server and have each user access the database

You use Dial up Networking. The database is on a server in IIinois and
the user in Arizona dials up the office, the modem answers the call,
hey pesto they are on a network as if the server was in the same
building, then access normally.

Or

Use replication. If you are using an Access database you can replicate
it and send one copy to Arizona. Periodically they send a copy (via
pony express :-)) to IIinois and the two are synconized into one. You
then send the update back and the same thing happens in Arizona.
You don't have up to the minute data though. "Pony express" what am I
thinking of - e-mail it during the lunch hour.

Or

Use transaction logging. User stamp and date and time stamp each
transaction and update in a batch process by comparing date and times.
Again only as upto date as the last update.

What business are you in ???

Jeff.

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Multi-User DB Question
If your already considering storing this on an internet server, why not just
create a web application and use web pages for data entry?  This is much
simpler and easier than sharing an Access database over a phone line.

-Bob

Quote:
> Hello,
> I've written a single-user database application using VB6/DAO/JET. I'm
> considering converting it to a multi-user application, but I have no
experience
> in developing multi-user apps with DAO/JET. At most there would be only
two
> users accessing the database at any given time, but they will be in
different
> states (Illinois and Arizona).  I would like each user to be able to read
and
> write to the database anytime they want. So I'm wondering if it is
possible to
> store the database on an internet server and have each user access the
database
> via their internet connection. Is this even possible?  If so, how?  I'm a
> (somewhat) experienced developer but this is a topic I haven't touched
till

Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Multi User DB Question

2. multi user with jet DB

3. Multi-User DB with Access

4. Performance of multi-user db-apps in vb.

5. Microsoft's idea of multi-user DB's

6. Microsoft's idea of multi-user DB's

7. Single to Multi User DB

8. Multi User - DB

9. Help! Multi-user conflicts: VB4/Access 2 DB

10. Multi-user db access PLEASE HELP !

11. Multi-User DB Problem - Repost

12. Single to Multi User DB