Need help with VB4/ODBC/Oracle7
Author Message
 Need help with VB4/ODBC/Oracle7

Hi,

I am a newbie to this ODBC stuff.  I'm writing a VB4 app that needs to
retrieve data from an Oracle7 database and format that data to send to a
barcode label printer.

I am using the Intersolv ODBC driver pack.

I have successfully connected to the Oracle7 database from my VB4 app and
executed a simple SELECT FROM statement.

My question is how can I monitor if my connection to the Oracle database was
successful?

I set an On Error Goto and deliberately gave the Oracle db the wrong password.
I was hoping to trap the error but instead the app just hung.  The Set MyDB =
MyWorkspace.OpenDatabase("ODBC;....") statement doesn't seem to return a value
that I can test.

How can I monitor the success or fail of my connection?

Why does the VB app hang if I submit an incorrect password to the Pracle db?

As an alternative, I would try to use the ODBC API so that I can use
SQLDriverConnect and monitor for SQL_SUCCESS but I can't find any
documentation on the ODBC API.  Where can I find this info?

Thanks,
Ira Idelson

Sun, 26 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help with VB4/ODBC/Oracle7

Quote:
> Why does the VB app hang if I submit an incorrect password to the Pracle

db?

Probably because ODBC is not set up correctly. It should pop up a dialog
box for
manual entry of the user name and password if either is incorrect.

Andrew Mann

Wed, 29 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB4 Front end to Oracle7 w/SQL*NET2 -- Need ODBC driver to support RDO

2. ODBC Error: Oracle7.2, ODBC, VB4.0, DAO, Jet 3.0

3. VB4 Oracle7 ODBC - Problems connecting from VB IDE

4. VB4 Oracle7 ODBC - Problems connecting from VB IDE

5. VB4 Oracle7 ODBC - Problems connecting from VB IDE

6. Need help: VB4 / ODBC / mouse problem

7. VB3.0 and Oracle7 (Help needed)

8. Crystal and ODBC/Oracle7

9. ODBC ORACLE7 WHIT VISUAL BASIC 4.0

10. Visual Basic/Oracle7 ODBC driver question

11. RDO and Oracle7 ODBC

12. VB3-ODBC-Oracle7 Performance Problems