Visual Basic Front Ends For Access Databases
Author Message
 Visual Basic Front Ends For Access Databases

Hello all,

Are there any websites which have beginners tips for creating a Visual Basic
(in this case 6) for an Access (97/2000) database? Fairly simple things such
as what control to use to pull information from/write back to the database,
create standard reports from information in the database. And useful
snippets of code that might be handy for me. If any experienced users could
post any of the above here it would be greatly appreciated. Last time I used
VB was for my A-levels (VB 3), I used it to make a few simple (ish)
programs. I've been playing with VB6 and its all coming back to me, slowly,
but any help would be great.

Thanks in advance and best regards.
Matthew

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 06:42:03 GMT
 Visual Basic Front Ends For Access Databases
Most of the web sites I have seen generally assume that you already know
something about VB ... not always a valid assumption.

If you are going through the learning curve all over again, then I would
recommend you learn the ADO way of data access rather than DAO. There will
be many arguments about which is better, but one thing is sure: ADO is newer
and learning it now will shorten your learning curve for ADO.Net.

If you are just fooling around trying to come up with something simple, then
take a look at the ADO Data Control (rather than the intrinsic data
control). It can simplify your life when it comes to navigating through
recordsets, binding other controls and so forth. On the other hand, if you
are going to get into serious production work with VB, then learn how to do
it in code because the data control can get expensive when you want to have
multiple recordsets open simultaneously. To my way of thinking, the data
control is the programmer's vaseline.

I will never forget what an instructor once told me: If there are several
ways of doing things, then the easiest way for the programmer is almost
always the wrong way.

One final suggestion: if you can afford to spend a few coins, then look into
the myriad of learning books. My personal favorites are the Microsoft
Mastering Series which include Mastering VB6 Fundamentals and Mastering VB6
Programming. There are others but make sure you get a tutorial book rather
than a reference book.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Quote:
> Hello all,

> Are there any websites which have beginners tips for creating a Visual
Basic
> (in this case 6) for an Access (97/2000) database? Fairly simple things
such
> as what control to use to pull information from/write back to the
database,
> create standard reports from information in the database. And useful
> snippets of code that might be handy for me. If any experienced users
could
> post any of the above here it would be greatly appreciated. Last time I
used
> VB was for my A-levels (VB 3), I used it to make a few simple (ish)
> programs. I've been playing with VB6 and its all coming back to me,
slowly,
> but any help would be great.

> Thanks in advance and best regards.
> Matthew

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:27:03 GMT
 Visual Basic Front Ends For Access Databases
<Snipped lots of usedful advice>

Thanks for the tips, I'm still fairly familiar with VB code, would it be
possible for you to direct me to an example of a program which interogates
an access data base using the ADO method so I might take it apart and see
how it should be done. An example of what I'm looking to do for part of a
program is be able to view names and addresses stores in an access database.

Best Regards
Matthew

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:10:24 GMT
 Visual Basic Front Ends For Access Databases
Matthew -

Do you have an email address? Might be better if we took this off line.
Rather than publish your email address here, you can email it to me.

Jim

Quote:
> <Snipped lots of usedful advice>

> Thanks for the tips, I'm still fairly familiar with VB code, would it be
> possible for you to direct me to an example of a program which interogates
> an access data base using the ADO method so I might take it apart and see
> how it should be done. An example of what I'm looking to do for part of a
> program is be able to view names and addresses stores in an access
database.

> Best Regards
> Matthew

Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:48:31 GMT

1. Using Visual Basic to front-end an Oracle Database

2. Connecting Sun database to Visual Basic front end

3. Visual Basic front end to Access2000

4. Visual Basic as Front End to Acad LT

5. Visual Basic uses as Front end Application to Mainframe Data Entry

6. Release DLL does not work with Visual Basic front end

7. Visual C++ as a Database Front End

8. Access database corruption using vb front ends

9. Help - using VB as front end for Access Database

10. VB Front-End - Sorting Access database

11. Help with Vb front end for access database

12. VB6 front end talking to an Access 97 database multiuser question