Help : Seeking record using Index
Author Message
 Help : Seeking record using Index

Hi,

A novice problem. Please help if you can.

I have a very big mdb database. Let's say each record has a name field.
This name field is indexed but not UNIQUE. As the database is too big, I
can only rely on indexing to find records in this database but not
find(next/first) command.

The problem is I need to print out all records in the database with the
same name, say "GARFIELD", but cannot use findfirst(or next) to look the
whole database because it's too big and will take too long to find
records with the same name. So I have to use seek to get the record(s)
out. BUT, I always landed up getting the first record from the seek
command below.
        Table1.seek "=", "GARFIELD"

So after printing the first record with the name, "GARFIELD", how can I
print subsequent records with the name "GARFIELD" using the available
index file? In other words, is there an efficient method to look for all
records with the same name if I have a index file?

Please e-mail your reply

Thanks a million

--

Cheers,
Irene

My Homepage :           http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~irene

:-))))))))) Have a nice day

Sat, 20 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help : Seeking record using Index

Quote:

>So after printing the first record with the name, "GARFIELD", how can I
>print subsequent records with the name "GARFIELD" using the available
>index file? In other words, is there an efficient method to look for all
>records with the same name if I have a index file?

use the movenext method and keep printing until the name changes
I fully realize that I have not succeeded in answering all of your questions.....
Indeed, I feel that I have not answered any of them completely.
The answers I have found only serve to raise a whole new set of questions, which only lead to more problems, some of which we weren't even aware were problems.
To sum it all up ......
In some ways I feel we are confused as ever, but I believe we are confused on a higher level, and about more important things.

Sun, 21 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help : Seeking record using Index

 In other words, is there an efficient method to look for all

Quote:
> records with the same name if I have a index file?
> You can use a SQL statement to select all records with a certain name.

For example,
        SELECT * FROM table WHERE lastname = 'Garfield'

You can find out how to use SQL in VB by searching on-line help for SQL,
and the RecordSource property of a data control.  Or see the "Guide to
Data Access Objects" in the Professional Features manual -- if you have
an hour to read, this explains everything.

Jennifer Bavar

Fri, 05 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Seeking records with an index

2. using .index and .seek function

3. Using SEEK wih multiple-field indexes

4. Using seek and index with text database

5. Using SEEK on DBF files and indexes

6. ADO USING SEEK AND INDEXES

7. Using SEEK to move DATA cntrl record

8. Displaying the current record after using the Seek method

9. Using SEEK to find record #?

10. Finding/Seeking/setting the current record when using a data control

11. Database record seek and modify using VB5

12. How to seek a record using ADO ?