Upsizing from Access 97 to SQL Server? -> forget it!
Author Message
 Upsizing from Access 97 to SQL Server? -> forget it!

Quote:

> >Ok, but this does not answer the original question on the upsizing tool
> >that does not work in Access 97. I have the same experience myself and
do
> >not find anything about it. Could somebody tell me if there is any
> >equivalent?

> Are you saying that you've tried the current upsizing tool with Access
> 8 and it doesn't work?

Exactly, I used it earlier on in a previous access 7 and that worked
without any problem. But now I installed the Access Development Tools (ADT)
and the add-ins do not appear under "tools ... add-ins". I tried several
things:
        - placing the add-ins in the correct position (ADT had put them in the
correct directory under msoffice\access but apparently the add-ins reside
now in the directory msoffice\office. Anyway that did not help. You can see
them in the add-in manager and try to install them from there, but that
does not work (not that access tells you this!).
        - second move: convert the .mda add-ins that are delivered with ADT. now
there you're in for a surprise: in the phase of converting database to
currently installed version of VBA the next warning appears: requested type
library or wizard is not a VBA project. (for which the help topic does not
exist). After this: nothing! I would say that the macro's that are used in
the upsizing tool cannot be upgraded by access 8. You cannot even open the
mda files in access 8 because it tries to convert it too then.

I will now look at the tools in Access 7, but I do not think that I can see
from there what could cause the upgrading error because I do not know where
it goes wrong.

A search on the Microsoft web site did not help me any further.

I would appreciated it from microsoft if they delivered the upgraded tool
with office 97 together in my universal subscription for which my boss pays
a lot of money!

Sebastien Deleersnyder

PS: I will cross-post this to some other news groups so I would appreciate
it if somebody with the same problem or , even better, solution could also
post it to me directly. If I find the solution I will post it in all the
relevant groups.

Sun, 04 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Upsizing from Access 97 to SQL Server? -> forget it!

The Official Answer:

"Will There be an Upsizing Tools Update for the 97 Release?

We are currently revising the Microsoft Access Upsizing Tools for the
97
release. We're planning to release them in the first quarter of 1997.
They and will make them available on our Web site (
http://www.microsoft.com/accessdev/) for free. "

                                --- Microsoft's Web Page

Terri Torrez

Sun, 04 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Upsizing from Access 97 to SQL Server? -> forget it!

Upsizing Tools have been posted,

Excellent follow-up from Microsoft - they *DO* realise where the helps
needed!!!

Trevor Dwyer

Quote:

> > >Ok, but this does not answer the original question on the upsizing
tool
> > >that does not work in Access 97. I have the same experience myself and
> do
> > >not find anything about it. Could somebody tell me if there is any
> > >equivalent?

> > Are you saying that you've tried the current upsizing tool with Access
> > 8 and it doesn't work?

> Exactly, I used it earlier on in a previous access 7 and that worked
> without any problem. But now I installed the Access Development Tools
(ADT)
> and the add-ins do not appear under "tools ... add-ins". I tried several
> things:
>    - placing the add-ins in the correct position (ADT had put them in the
> correct directory under msoffice\access but apparently the add-ins reside
> now in the directory msoffice\office. Anyway that did not help. You can
see
> them in the add-in manager and try to install them from there, but that
> does not work (not that access tells you this!).
>    - second move: convert the .mda add-ins that are delivered with ADT. now
> there you're in for a surprise: in the phase of converting database to
> currently installed version of VBA the next warning appears: requested
type
> library or wizard is not a VBA project. (for which the help topic does
not
> exist). After this: nothing! I would say that the macro's that are used
in
> the upsizing tool cannot be upgraded by access 8. You cannot even open
the
> mda files in access 8 because it tries to convert it too then.

> I will now look at the tools in Access 7, but I do not think that I can
see
> from there what could cause the upgrading error because I do not know
where
> it goes wrong.

> A search on the Microsoft web site did not help me any further.

> I would appreciated it from microsoft if they delivered the upgraded tool
> with office 97 together in my universal subscription for which my boss
pays
> a lot of money!

> Sebastien Deleersnyder

> PS: I will cross-post this to some other news groups so I would
appreciate
> it if somebody with the same problem or , even better, solution could
also
> post it to me directly. If I find the solution I will post it in all the
> relevant groups.

Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Upsizing from Access 97 to SQL Server? -> forget it!

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:29:42 -0800, "Trevor Dwyer"

Quote:

>Upsizing Tools have been posted,

>Excellent follow-up from Microsoft - they *DO* realise where the helps
>needed!!!

I tried it, and it's pretty good, although it doesn't actually do
exactly what it says it will. for example, it doesn't seem to preserve
the NULL/NOT NULL column attributes for anything except the primary
key, and makes some really odd decisions about data types (for example
varchar(2))

OTOH, it's gives a nice starting point, and once it's done, the
database structure can be exported, edited and recreated.

Terry

--------------------

Terry Carmen
Meadowbrook Software

Sun, 11 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Upsizing Acc 97 to SQL

2. Help - Access yes/no fields upsized to SQL Server SQL_BIT fields

3. Upsizing ACCESS to SQL SERVER, Need Help

4. NEWBIE : UPSIZE .RPT from ACCESS to SQL SERVER

5. Extra constaint name occure in SQL Server if upsize table from access

6. Upsize Access to SQL Server

7. Upsize Access to SQL Server.

8. sql server connect. Migration Access->sql server

9. sql server connect. Migration Access->sql server

10. sql server connect. Migration Access->sql server

11. SQL-syntax SQL-Server 7.0 / Access 97

12. Upsizing tool for Access 97