Databasing memory requirements?
Author Message
 Databasing memory requirements?

Quote:

>I don't have any technical manuals available to me,  so I'm hoping someone
>may be able to answer this question.  I'm planning on writing some
>database routines in VB 3.0 pro.  I can foresee that the databases could
>reach some very large sizes (megabytes).  I'm using the data access
>control that came with VB Pro 3.0 to do this stuff,  but I didn't see
>anywhere it mention maximum database sizes and memory requirements.  If I
>have, say, an 8MB RAM 486dx2 with 25MB virtual memory,  I know I'll be
>okay for a long time to come,  but suppose I was on a 2MB Ram computer?
>Does VB first copy the entire database into RAM/virtual-RAM?  Or does it
>simply read in one record at a time when you request that record?

Well I don't think you'll be happy running Win31 on 2 MB RAM, minimum
rec is 4 MB and 6 MB is the real lower limit for satisfactory
performance. However assuming you are using Access as the DB I think
it reads a page at a time. There are some .ini file parameters you can
set for these. I don't have the ref here with me now.

Wed, 31 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Databasing memory requirements?
I don't have any technical manuals available to me,  so I'm hoping someone
may be able to answer this question.  I'm planning on writing some
database routines in VB 3.0 pro.  I can foresee that the databases could
reach some very large sizes (megabytes).  I'm using the data access
control that came with VB Pro 3.0 to do this stuff,  but I didn't see
anywhere it mention maximum database sizes and memory requirements.  If I
have, say, an 8MB RAM 486dx2 with 25MB virtual memory,  I know I'll be
okay for a long time to come,  but suppose I was on a 2MB Ram computer?
Does VB first copy the entire database into RAM/virtual-RAM?  Or does it
simply read in one record at a time when you request that record?

Thanks,
  - Steve Weigand

Wed, 31 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Databasing memory requirements?

Quote:

>Well I don't think you'll be happy running Win31 on 2 MB RAM, minimum
>rec is 4 MB and 6 MB is the real lower limit for satisfactory
>performance. However assuming you are using Access as the DB I think
>it reads a page at a time. There are some .ini file parameters you can
>set for these. I don't have the ref here with me now.

I also have a requirement to deliver a very simple data capture system which
will need to run on 386 B/W laptops with 4MB memory.  Database size would be
about 10,000 records, totalling 2MB.  The system would run with no other
applications in use.

Is this possible on VB/Access, running Crystal Reports?  I note that MS Access
itself is listed as requiring at least 6MB, but I am not sure if exactly the
same applies to VB/Access as well.  I emphasize that I'm talking about
*practical*, but not superfast user response, such as retrieval of records
within 5 seconds.

Paul Hampton-Smith

Sun, 11 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Array memory requirement question

2. Memory Requirements

3. Memory requirements for VB6 Enterprise

4. Memory Requirements For Controls

5. Memory requirements for VB 5.0

6. Memory requirements for VB 5.

7. VB4 Memory Requirements