SQL Query Length
Author Message
 SQL Query Length

I'm doing a COUNT in a pass through query and pass a large number of
Geographic codes to the SQLServer.  I can send a query that has a string
length of about 510 characters.  I thought that SQL allowed for larger
string SQL statements.  Does anyone know the exact limit of is there a
limit in VB that may be truncating my query?  I seam to be able to send a
much longer SQL statement through to my Crystal Selection Formula.
(About 1400 characters).

Thanks for any assistance....Chuck

Sat, 20 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Query Length

Hauptman), wrote these mellifluous words, full of wisdom and thoughtful
reflections:

Quote:
>!<I'm doing a COUNT in a pass through query and pass a large number of
>!<Geographic codes to the SQLServer.  I can send a query that has a string
>!<length of about 510 characters.  I thought that SQL allowed for larger
>!<string SQL statements.  Does anyone know the exact limit of is there a
>!<limit in VB that may be truncating my query?  I seam to be able to send a
>!<much longer SQL statement through to my Crystal Selection Formula.
>!<(About 1400 characters).
>!<Thanks for any assistance....Chuck

From what I know, the length of an SQL string is "practically unlimited", that
is, the limit is somewhere in the 32K area. However, the character string value
within the SQL string must not exceed 255 characters. If someone says otherwise,
demand a workable portion of code. I spent about 4 hours trying to avoid extra
30 minutes of coding with Chunk methods, yet ended up in chunking...

Sun, 21 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Query Length

Quote:

> I'm doing a COUNT in a pass through query and pass a large number of
> Geographic codes to the SQLServer.  I can send a query that has a string
> length of about 510 characters.  I thought that SQL allowed for larger
> string SQL statements.  Does anyone know the exact limit of is there a
> limit in VB that may be truncating my query?  I seam to be able to send a
> much longer SQL statement through to my Crystal Selection Formula.
> (About 1400 characters).

> Thanks for any assistance....Chuck

I send >10K sql statements with ODBC to SQLBase without problems. Sometimes the server indicates the in-buffer size has been exceeded,
but it self corrects for this. What error are you getting? Can you see your statements on the server as they are proccessed?

--
Thomas Hugel
Brown Distributing Co. (Budweiser)

Sun, 21 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. how can I build 2 queries in 1 query(VB SQL query)

2. Length of query string

3. SQL Query - MAX, Grouping and Sub query

4. SQL query works, Crystal query doesn't

5. Using Sub Query in Sql Query - Crystal Report 5.0

6. VB Query vs SQL Query Analyzer Speed?

7. Allow Zero Length String in a field using SQL

8. Length limit on '.sql' property

9. Variable length fields & SQL Server

10. sql length

11. Finding the length of a string in an SQL statement

12. Max. length of SQL string in openrecordset statement