50 users running Access, am I crazy.
Author Message
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

I am about to embark on writing a bunch of VB4 code for a distribution
company.
Being new to the VB arena, I need some input as to how realistic it would
be
to deploy a 50 user Access database.  The applications are from the ground
up
and the complexity of the database (number of tables, update speed) is not
extremely critical, which will more than offset by the benefit of using
DAO.

1. Has anyone deployed a system this large? What should I be worried
about?
2. Is data corruption more common on Access than with other pure DB
vendors
(informix,oracle,etc)?
3. My only other choice would be Btrieve's SCALABLE SQL via ODBC.  It
seems much slower that DAO?  Do I have any other options???
Thanks for your input!!!!

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

The actual problem with Access databases are not the number of
concurrent users. It is the tasks they are doing that is the real
problem. I have developed systems for up to 250 concurrent users.
All they did were retreiving a "serial number" for a transport
task. The issue was to generate a unique "serial number" for each
transport. This still works great even if thay are 300 users now.
Other system I have developed can not handle more than 10 users
because they are doing so much more complex tasks. They are calling
customers for the bi-yearly "road safety" check. Since my system
holds around 2000 vehicles and around 10000 checks a year, I think
15 users would be the upper limit for this system.

Peter Larsson

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

Quote:

>I am about to embark on writing a bunch of VB4 code for a distribution
>company.
>Being new to the VB arena, I need some input as to how realistic it would
>be
>to deploy a 50 user Access database.  The applications are from the ground
>up
>and the complexity of the database (number of tables, update speed) is not
>extremely critical, which will more than offset by the benefit of using
>DAO.
>1. Has anyone deployed a system this large? What should I be worried
>about?

Not me.  You should be worried about (especially Jet 2.x) unable to
handle a heavy transaction load - especially inserts - in a multi-user
envrionment.  You should be worried about one user prematurely turning
off their PC, causing the Access file to be flagged as "corrupted",
requiring and exclusive repair operation.

Quote:
>2. Is data corruption more common on Access than with other pure DB
>vendors (informix,oracle,etc)?

Any file based database, such as Access, is less reliable than a
client-server database.

Quote:
>3. My only other choice would be Btrieve's SCALABLE SQL via ODBC.  It
>seems much slower that DAO?  Do I have any other options???

What is wrong with Microsoft SQL Server?

Quote:
>Thanks for your input!!!!

Steven R. Zuch
Cogent Management Inc.

Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

Quote:

> >I am about to embark on writing a bunch of VB4 code for a distribution
> >company.
> >Being new to the VB arena, I need some input as to how realistic it
would
> >be
> >to deploy a 50 user Access database.  The applications are from the
ground
> >up
> >and the complexity of the database (number of tables, update speed) is
not
> >extremely critical, which will more than offset by the benefit of
using
> >DAO.

> >1. Has anyone deployed a system this large? What should I be worried
> >about?

> Not me.  You should be worried about (especially Jet 2.x) unable to
> handle a heavy transaction load - especially inserts - in a multi-user
> envrionment.  You should be worried about one user prematurely turning
> off their PC, causing the Access file to be flagged as "corrupted",
> requiring and exclusive repair operation.

> >2. Is data corruption more common on Access than with other pure DB
> >vendors (informix,oracle,etc)?

> Any file based database, such as Access, is less reliable than a
> client-server database.

> >3. My only other choice would be Btrieve's SCALABLE SQL via ODBC.  It
> >seems much slower that DAO?  Do I have any other options???

> What is wrong with Microsoft SQL Server?

It's yet another second-rate m$ product. <G> Actually there *are* quite a
few different options, ranging from Btrieve to DB2, of every size and
shape. But (my feelings about sqlServer aside) relying on Access for
something like this could very well come back to haunt you. If nothing
else consider microsoft's approach to legacy apps (even their own): "buy
the newer version or leave us alone". All of the sql products out there
have their pro's and con's but I suspect almost any of them will do you
better in the long run than relying on Access for the backend. It's fine
as a front end though.
Mike

Sat, 27 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

50 users?  yes i think you are crazy.  I have a couple of apps up running
on just 10 users (3 doing constant transactions) and i am running into
corrupted databases once a week.  I am now looking for another dbengine,
maybe sybase or mssql.

Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

        Hi,
        As you can see by the other replies, the only answer you're going to
get is, "Depends."
        So, here I go.
        Depends.
        If you're not going to be doing a real transaction intensive
application and your network is in good order, go ahead and use
Access. Be sure you _always_ have a backup because you are probably
going to have problems with corruptions.
        Here's where a real forgiving user base comes in handy. Or a really
stupid one. When the system goes blooey, you walk in and say, "Hey
look! It's Haley's comet!" While they're looking out the window
saying, "Where? I don't see it," run the restore.
        You also need to have some sort of transaction log to forward restore
transactions that occurred after the backup, but before the
corruption.
        Are you sure you don't want to use something like MS SQL Server,
Sybase or better yet, a grown-up database like Oracle? You might spend
as much or more in the long run, but if you use a really good
back-end, you're going to look a lot less like a bozo to your users.
        Good luck, DJ.

Quote:

>I am about to embark on writing a bunch of VB4 code for a distribution
>company.
>Being new to the VB arena, I need some input as to how realistic it would
>be
>to deploy a 50 user Access database.  The applications are from the ground
>up
>and the complexity of the database (number of tables, update speed) is not
>extremely critical, which will more than offset by the benefit of using
>DAO.

Tue, 30 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

It depends.  Here is my experience.

I have a database with about 200 users.  At any one time, it has about
10-40 doing stricly read operations and 3-5 doing write operations and any
one time.  I have never had a corruptions or performacne problem, but I do
have a good network.  I have had some locking conflicts due to page level
locking.  THere are good ways around this problem, such as the use of
transactions to makue sure there are not lingering locks.  Hope this helps.

PL

Quote:

> >I am about to embark on writing a bunch of VB4 code for a distribution
> >company.
> >Being new to the VB arena, I need some input as to how realistic it
would
> >be
> >to deploy a 50 user Access database.  The applications are from the
ground
> >up
> >and the complexity of the database (number of tables, update speed) is
not
> >extremely critical, which will more than offset by the benefit of using
> >DAO.

Tue, 30 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

Quote:

> 50 users?  yes i think you are crazy.  I have a couple of apps up running
> on just 10 users (3 doing constant transactions) and i am running into
> corrupted databases once a week.  I am now looking for another dbengine,
> maybe sybase or mssql.

www.odi.com sells an object-oriented database with an interface for
Visual Basic, java and c++.  Look at it it's worth it.

Tue, 30 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

Yes, I think you are crazy.

At this point you need a genuine process running in a server to handle the
users and protect the database files.

In other words you need true client/server such as Oracle or SQL server,
running on an operating system with which your already familiar, eg Windows NT.

Don't settle for less with 50 users.

Wed, 31 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Access with 50 users

2. 50 cent bring em in | 50 cent brings out jim jones | 50 cent broke

3. Access to WINSOCK.DLL from QuckBASIC v4.50

4. ASP connect to Access *.mdb: limit to 50 char

5. How can I use DataCombo to access ADO data control to get over 50 rows to

6. How can I use DataCombo to access ADO data control to get over 50 rows to

7. HELP!!! Cmd.CreateParameter I am getting crazy

8. ** HELP WITH vb 4.0 I am going crazy**

9. Overflow - Am I going crazy?

10. is this a bug or am i crazy?

11. Am I crazy, or is the Timer control?

12. Am I crazy or what?