please offer an opinion relevant to DAO
Author Message
 please offer an opinion relevant to DAO

Hello.

I am involved in the development of an interactive training
application utilizing Visual Basic 6.0.
A component of our application is to track information relevant to
those who have been trained utilizing the software, as well as other
information.
I have implemented DAO oriented code to create, populate, and retrive
data from an .mdb database.
Some {*filter*} things are happening, and it is relevant to which library
is installed onto a computer system of usage.
If the DAO library is set to 3.6, errors occur such as type mismatch,
and database not found.  If the DAO library is set to version 3.5, the
code works as expected on the development machine.
Another interesting consideration is that on a test computer system,
the code accesses a table that has been installed, but offers an error
when code to create the database is attempted to be executed.

What is implicated is that there is some nuance relevant to which
library is installed, and what code is implemented.

What I am in search of is some information as to if there is a generic
code implementation that circumvents what is described above, or some
implementation relevant to library usage and installation that would
circumvent the encounter of errors relevant to the execution of the
database oriented code.

I shall appreciate any useful information.

I thank you.
John

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:27:56 GMT
 please offer an opinion relevant to DAO
Best advice is to use DAO 3.6 but ensure it gets installed on the all
machines.  DAO 3.51 is used to talk to Access 97 databases, DAO 3.6 is used
to talk to Access 2K databases but can also talk to 97 databases.  Odds are
your issues are because some users have 97 (only have 3.51) some have 2K
(only have 3.6)  some had 97 but upgraded to 2K (thus have both 3.51 and 3.6
installed).  The best way to esure that everybody gets the proper version
and have them properly registered is to include JET 4.0 SP3 with your
install and have it install as well.  If you used the Package and Deployment
Wizard, it is just buggy in finding the right files to include.  Jet 4.0 SP3
can be found at http://www.*-*-*.com/
(which should be installed prior to Jet 4.0 SP3).

HTH

--
Clint LaFever
http://www.*-*-*.com/

-
http://www.*-*-*.com/
Home of:
    The Extended ListView (Edit any subitem) Free
    The Code Depot Add-In
    Much more (All Free)
-

Quote:
> Hello.

> I am involved in the development of an interactive training
> application utilizing Visual Basic 6.0.
> A component of our application is to track information relevant to
> those who have been trained utilizing the software, as well as other
> information.
> I have implemented DAO oriented code to create, populate, and retrive
> data from an .mdb database.
> Some {*filter*} things are happening, and it is relevant to which library
> is installed onto a computer system of usage.
> If the DAO library is set to 3.6, errors occur such as type mismatch,
> and database not found.  If the DAO library is set to version 3.5, the
> code works as expected on the development machine.
> Another interesting consideration is that on a test computer system,
> the code accesses a table that has been installed, but offers an error
> when code to create the database is attempted to be executed.

> What is implicated is that there is some nuance relevant to which
> library is installed, and what code is implemented.

> What I am in search of is some information as to if there is a generic
> code implementation that circumvents what is described above, or some
> implementation relevant to library usage and installation that would
> circumvent the encounter of errors relevant to the execution of the
> database oriented code.

> I shall appreciate any useful information.

> I thank you.
> John

Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:51:44 GMT

1. Opinions re value of DAO/ADO conversion

2. Urgent project, please check and make offer.

3. The Front/Backend dilema --Opinions please...

4. Naming Conventions -- Opinions please...

5. Qbasic 1.1, OPINIONS PLEASE

6. VB5- Opinions Please

7. I need your opinion PLEASE HELP ME OR I MIGHT COMMIT SUICIDE

8. Opinions please from VB Guru's and large systems developers

9. Your opinion please

10. Your opinion on UI design, please?

11. Need your opinion....please!

12. Please give me an opinion