Which MS SQL - Server or Workstation
Author Message
 Which MS SQL - Server or Workstation

Hi,

I'll be porting my VB+Access(16bit) to SQL server very soon.  However,
after looking into MS web site, I got confused against what to buy. I
called Microsoft, I was told that for single developer(BTW, I'm the only
developer during this porting) SQL workstation is sufficient.

I would like to get your feedback on this recommendation. Is is OK to
buy SQL Workstation (about $450) edition for my need(porting,
developing) or I must have full SQL server machine and a workstation for
development?

Thanks,

-- Kiran

Tue, 08 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which MS SQL - Server or Workstation

You should get Windows NT Workstation and SQL Server Workstation, also have at
least 20 megs of memory in your PC.  SQL Server Worstation only runs on NT,
not 3.1 or Windows 95.

Quote:
>Hi,

>I'll be porting my VB+Access(16bit) to SQL server very soon.  However,
>after looking into MS web site, I got confused against what to buy. I
>called Microsoft, I was told that for single developer(BTW, I'm the only
>developer during this porting) SQL workstation is sufficient.

>I would like to get your feedback on this recommendation. Is is OK to
>buy SQL Workstation (about $450) edition for my need(porting,
>developing) or I must have full SQL server machine and a workstation for
>development?

>Thanks,

>-- Kiran

 KJR Software Inc.           Tel: 613-839-0431

 Ottawa, Canada              http://www.kjrsoftware.com
 Under Control - Problem Tracking and Software Change Management
                 System for Windows

Wed, 09 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which MS SQL - Server or Workstation

Quote:

>Hi,

>I'll be porting my VB+Access(16bit) to SQL server very soon.  However,
>after looking into MS web site, I got confused against what to buy. I
>called Microsoft, I was told that for single developer(BTW, I'm the only
>developer during this porting) SQL workstation is sufficient.

>I would like to get your feedback on this recommendation. Is is OK to
>buy SQL Workstation (about $450) edition for my need(porting,
>developing) or I must have full SQL server machine and a workstation for
>development?

So you are porting an Access database to SQL Server... does your employers (or
client) have SQL Server.  If not, then I suggest you get them to buy it, set
it up and run against it.  If they do and you are only needing something to
test and develop with, I would get the Workstation version.

In fact, I have version 6.0 of SQL Server which automatically scales down to
workstation if you install in on a NT Workstation PC.  If you use NT Server,
then SQL Server installs (but this clouds your issue).

Wed, 09 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Which MS SQL - Server or Workstation

Quote:

> >Hi,

> >I'll be porting my VB+Access(16bit) to SQL server very soon.  However,
> >after looking into MS web site, I got confused against what to buy. I
> >called Microsoft, I was told that for single developer(BTW, I'm the only
> >developer during this porting) SQL workstation is sufficient.

> >I would like to get your feedback on this recommendation. Is is OK to
> >buy SQL Workstation (about $450) edition for my need(porting,
> >developing) or I must have full SQL server machine and a workstation for
> >development?

> So you are porting an Access database to SQL Server... does your employers (or
> client) have SQL Server.  If not, then I suggest you get them to buy it, set
> it up and run against it.  If they do and you are only needing something to
> test and develop with, I would get the Workstation version.

> In fact, I have version 6.0 of SQL Server which automatically scales down to
> workstation if you install in on a NT Workstation PC.  If you use NT Server,
> then SQL Server installs (but this clouds your issue).

I just installed SQL Server 6.0 to a NT 3.51 workstation and never noticed
any prompts for the SQL Workstation option and now the Server is loaded and
won't run becuase it is missing some DLL's which are more than likely located
on the NT Server.  Any comments?

Fri, 18 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Which MS SQL - Server or Workstation

2. howto get IP of the workstation on ms NT terminal server

3. Unable to install MS SQL Workstation

4. Installing MS SQL Workstation-- Help!!!

5. Executing MS SQL Server 2000 stored procs via MS Access 2000

6. Moving Oracle records to MS SQL Server using MS Access

7. Complicated Record Handling on MS Sql server and MS Accesses Databases

8. Installing Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Workstation

9. SQL Server and NT Workstation and VB Pro

10. SQL Server slow on some workstations

11. Installing Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Workstation

12. CA-Prog Analyst, MS SQL Server, Visual Basic and MS Access