Data controls v's doing it yourself?
Author Message
 Data controls v's doing it yourself?

Fairly basic question,

In terms of a multi-user application running on Novell, does using
data controls on each PC EXE have any performance hit v's opening a an
Access DB and extracting records using an SQL statement in code?

Thanks
Andrew

Wed, 28 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Data controls v's doing it yourself?

Quote:
>In terms of a multi-user application running on Novell, does using
>data controls on each PC EXE have any performance hit v's opening a an
>Access DB and extracting records using an SQL statement in code?

The roll-your-own method gives you the advantage of more control
over when records are inserted/updated, etc., and what to do
about it if an update fails. You'll have to write a fair amount
of code to put the data in the controls from the recordset and
put the data back into the fields from the controls, but, since
you're a programmer, that's what they pay you for. :-)

FWIW, I'd rather have explicit control over moving data into and
out of a database than rely on the data control firing events for
me.

-----

Joe

Never underestimate the power of a WAG.

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

2. MCI control doesn't generate DONE Event

3. ADO Data Control - What Am I Doing Wrong?

4. can't access data from text file use Data control

5. Which is best using the ADO Control instead of coding it yourself

6. VB6-Data Control-Can't find data access library

7. Writing my own 'data control'

8. Closing Data control prior to 'Compact'

9. Erratic incoming data with 'Winsock' control

10. Using Access 97 replication ID's with VB5 data control and other bound controls

11. ADO data control 'cannot find table'

12. Now I've really done it!!