VB and which DB format to use.
Author Message
 VB and which DB format to use.

Having read a copy of an earlier FAQ I could not find an answer to this
question but feel that it is rather fundamental in the situation where the
DB format is not specified prior to the writing of the VB App:

I have been asked to write a small DB app using VB for a friend but am a
little unsure as to which DB format would be the most suitable.

Although the prog itself may be (fairly) small it is feasible that the
data may become large through time.  My main concern is with Access
using a single file for everything. If the data set were to become large
(a few megs) would performance be hit in a big way?

My plan was to transfer any completed transactions to a 'completed' table.
With time this may become large- not a problem if it is in a file of its
own as it can be backed up easily and trimmed etc.  It appears to be a waste
of resources to have this 'old' data in the main DB file (as with Access),
when it will be rarely used, but may still affect performance.  Would using
a Paradox format be of any advantage- with separate files it will be easier
to manage but is it as easy to manipulate the data?

In conclusion, do  the close links between VB and Access outweigh the
problems associated with a single large file compared with a foreign DB format
which uses indivudual files for tables etc?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Steven A J Cox

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Invalid File Format error in DB which uses DAO with Access file

2. Invalid File Format error in DB which uses DAO with Access file

3. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

4. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

5. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

6. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

7. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

8. Amount of ram used by embedded VB program using inclueded db engine

9. export data from one access db to same db on another machine using vb6

10. Problems using format and format$ functions

11. Using VB to open a password protected db

12. Querying an access 2000 db using VB