VB3.0 Pro and Oracle 7.33
Author Message
 VB3.0 Pro and Oracle 7.33

I have a customer for whom we have written an application using VB3.0
Professional Edition that uses ODBC and SQL*Net V1.x to talk to an Oracle
7.1 DB on an NT Server.

They now wish to upgrade their database to 7.33 and use the 7.3 ODBC driver
and SQL*Net V2.x client/server combination.  For some reason, the
application will not make a successful connecton to the 7.33 DB.  I have
made them a very simple testing interface in VB 3.0 to connect to the DB.
When the call to OpenDatabase() is made, the system responds with the ODBC
interface to allow selection of the DSN, and then displays the "Login to
Oracle" window.  When the user keys in a valid username/password
combination, the system responds with a "Connection Failed" message.

When I perform the same test here, the OpenDatabase() function completes
successfully.  Does anyone have any experience with a similar
VB/ODBC/SQL*Net/Oracle combination?  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Barry Scott
Intergraph Corporation

Mon, 22 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3.0 Pro and Oracle 7.33

The first thig to check is if the sqlnet is configured properly,  do you the
database aliases set up and are they correct?

writes:

Quote:
>I have a customer for whom we have written an application using
>VB3.0
>Professional Edition that uses ODBC and SQL*Net V1.x to talk to an
>Oracle
>7.1 DB on an NT Server.

>They now wish to upgrade their database to 7.33 and use the 7.3 ODBC
>driver
>and SQL*Net V2.x client/server combination.  For some reason, the
>application will not make a successful connecton to the 7.33 DB.  I
>have
>made them a very simple testing interface in VB 3.0 to connect to
>the DB.
>When the call to OpenDatabase() is made, the system responds with
>the ODBC
>interface to allow selection of the DSN, and then displays the
>"Login to
>Oracle" window.  When the user keys in a valid username/password
>combination, the system responds with a "Connection Failed" message.

>When I perform the same test here, the OpenDatabase() function
>completes
>successfully.  Does anyone have any experience with a similar
>VB/ODBC/SQL*Net/Oracle combination?  Any advice would be greatly
>appreciated.

>--
>Barry Scott
>Intergraph Corporation
>(Remove the __ from the reply address)

Tue, 23 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB3.0 Pro and Oracle 7.33

Yes.  I believe the ODBC/SQL*Net are configured correctly because the ODBC
Test utility will work.  One can make a connection through this utility,
submit queries, etc.  There seems to be something between VB and the ODBC
driver, but I can't isolate it.

Thanks,
Barry

Quote:
> The first thig to check is if the sqlnet is configured properly,  do you
the
> database aliases set up and are they correct?

Quote:
> writes:

> >I have a customer for whom we have written an application using
> >VB3.0
> >Professional Edition that uses ODBC and SQL*Net V1.x to talk to an
> >Oracle
> >7.1 DB on an NT Server.

> >They now wish to upgrade their database to 7.33 and use the 7.3 ODBC
> >driver
> >and SQL*Net V2.x client/server combination.  For some reason, the
> >application will not make a successful connecton to the 7.33 DB.  I
> >have
> >made them a very simple testing interface in VB 3.0 to connect to
> >the DB.
> >When the call to OpenDatabase() is made, the system responds with
> >the ODBC
> >interface to allow selection of the DSN, and then displays the
> >"Login to
> >Oracle" window.  When the user keys in a valid username/password
> >combination, the system responds with a "Connection Failed" message.

> >When I perform the same test here, the OpenDatabase() function
> >completes
> >successfully.  Does anyone have any experience with a similar
> >VB/ODBC/SQL*Net/Oracle combination?  Any advice would be greatly
> >appreciated.

> >--
> >Barry Scott
> >Intergraph Corporation
> >(Remove the __ from the reply address)

Tue, 23 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Trouble with ADO in VB5 to Oracle 7.33, using the Oracle 73 driver

2. Trouble with ADO in VB5 with Oracle 7.33 and Oracle 73 driver

3. vb4 Pro 16bit vs. vb3 Pro <- speed

4. VB4 Pro and VB3 Pro on Same PC?

5. Help upgrading from VB3 Std to VB3 Pro

6. Wanted VB3 standard to VB3 Pro Upgrade

7. Oracle access via ODBCDirect in VB5 Pro

8. Oracle and VB 4.0 Pro

9. ORACLE Pro *C 1.6.4 for NT

10. **ORACLE and VB - Pros and Cons??**

11. Accessing Oracle databases with VB6 Pro Edition

12. HTML Browser poss under VB3 (pro) ??