Data Control/database object which is better ?
Author Message
 Data Control/database object which is better ?

To all VB programers,

    I have recently start to programming in VB 3.0 with Access 2.0,
I have a little question about the way of using the database in my
program, as there are two ways of implementing them, so I am a bit
confused, so if any one can give me some suggestion I will be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Arthur Sung

Mon, 30 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Control/database object which is better ?

Quote:
>I have a little question about the way of using the database in my
>program, as there are two ways of implementing them, so I am a bit
>confused, so if any one can give me some suggestion I will be
>appreciated.

The data objects are by far the way to go.  They give you more control in
your own code over what happens and you avoid the data controls firing
events when you don't want them to.  You end up with a net simplification
of your code because you're not fighting the data controls all the time.
Just watch out for the invalid use of null the the data controls tend to
hide from you.  Append & "" to all string fields returned before
assigning to a box or variable.  Check other field types with IsNull
before assignment.
--

Tue, 31 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Control/database object which is better ?

Quote:

>To all VB programers,

>    I have recently start to programming in VB 3.0 with Access 2.0,
>I have a little question about the way of using the database in my
>program, as there are two ways of implementing them, so I am a bit
>confused, so if any one can give me some suggestion I will be
>appreciated.

>Thanks in advance.

>Arthur Sung

Data Controls are easier to use but sligthtly less flexible and the
SLOWEST of the two.

DataBase Objects have to be coded manually, so there is more work
involved. They are a good deal faster, and you have more control.

Dag Sunde

Tue, 31 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Control/database object which is better ?

WO>The data objects are by far the way to go.  They give you more control in
  >your own code over what happens and you avoid the data controls firing
  >events when you don't want them to.  You end up with a net simplification
  >of your code because you're not fighting the data controls all the time.
  >Just watch out for the invalid use of null the the data controls tend to
  >hide from you.  Append & "" to all string fields returned before
  >assigning to a box or variable.  Check other field types with IsNull
  >before assignment.
So that's what has been driving me crazy!!!! I was beginning to
seriously doubt my programing ability...

 * 1st 2.00 #6477 * The strongest part of any paper form is the perforation.

Tue, 31 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Control/database object which is better ?

TO SUMMARIZE:

Data Controls are the LAZY way to go, where Database Objects are the
RIGHT way to go ....

* Peter Antypas                                                      *

Wed, 01 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Control/database object which is better ?

Quote:
>The data objects are by far the way to go.  They give you more control in
>your own code over what happens and you avoid the data controls firing
>events when you don't want them to.  You end up with a net simplification
>of your code because you're not fighting the data controls all the time.
>Just watch out for the invalid use of null the the data controls tend to
>hide from you.  Append & "" to all string fields returned before
>assigning to a box or variable.  Check other field types with IsNull
>before assignment.
>--

I quite agree...

Auckland
New Zealand

Wed, 01 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

2. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

3. Opening databases without using Forms and placing the data control objects on them

4. Opening databases without using Forms and placing the data control objects on them

5. I am trying to create a database application. I am using a data control

6. I am trying to create a database application. I am using a data control

7. I am trying to create a database application. I am using a data control

8. ADO Data Control - What Am I Doing Wrong?

9. Help - I am getting an error using data control

10. Best practice for data-related business objects

11. database of object hierachy? best method

12. Best Database Format for Scientific Data?