Errors 3265 & 3186
Author Message
 Errors 3265 & 3186

Hello,
        I am developing a telephony app which updates a database based
on the call progress. I am running the same .EXE on 2 different phone
lines by passing the phone line in the command line. Anyway, I am
having trouble writting to the same database and the result is the
error 3265 "Item not found in collection" and followed by 3186
"Couldn't save; currently locked...". I use SQL to gather the database
search,
'search new outbound calls
rstable = db.openrecordset("select * from table where call = 'NEW')

Next,
        rstable.edit
        rstable!fields = "whatever"
        rstable!update
'search busy outbound calls
rstable = db.openrs("select * from table where call = 'BUSY')
        rstable.edit
        rstable!fields = "whatever"
        rstable!update

Keep in mind, I am running 2 seperate instances of this app. How can I
edit/update a record (1 at a time) and keep the other instance
"on hold" until the record is updated from the "first" instance?

I think lockedits and editmode are 2 methods I should look into, but
is there a better way? I am trying to stay away from centralizing the
database, and just running 2 instances of the same app. Any
suggestions as to how to rectify my problem?
Thanks.

Bryan

Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Errors 3265 & 3186

Quote:

> Hello,
>         I am developing a telephony app which updates a database based
> on the call progress. I am running the same .EXE on 2 different phone
> lines by passing the phone line in the command line. Anyway, I am
> having trouble writting to the same database and the result is the
> error 3265 "Item not found in collection" and followed by 3186
> "Couldn't save; currently locked...". I use SQL to gather the database
> search,
> 'search new outbound calls
> rstable = db.openrecordset("select * from table where call = 'NEW')

> Next,
>         rstable.edit
>         rstable!fields = "whatever"
>         rstable!update
> 'search busy outbound calls
> rstable = db.openrs("select * from table where call = 'BUSY')
>         rstable.edit
>         rstable!fields = "whatever"
>         rstable!update

> Keep in mind, I am running 2 seperate instances of this app. How can I
> edit/update a record (1 at a time) and keep the other instance
> "on hold" until the record is updated from the "first" instance?

> I think lockedits and editmode are 2 methods I should look into, but
> is there a better way? I am trying to stay away from centralizing the
> database, and just running 2 instances of the same app. Any
> suggestions as to how to rectify my problem?
> Thanks.

> Bryan

Trap the error code of locked records, in your error handle, make the program to try to
update again.

Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Errors 3265 & 3186

2. Error 3186 , Help !!

3. Error 3186 - Couldn't save currently locked by user

4. Record locking error 3186

5. One last Newbie cry for help, re: 3186 error

6. File locking error 3186 even when open read only

7. Error 3186, Msaccess VB4 16 Bit

8. Runtime error 3186

9. Runtime error 3186

10. Re : Error 3186 on Optimistic Locking

11. Error 3186 on Optimistic Locking

12. Error 3186