Basic VB 3.0 Problem - Please Help 1st Timer
Author Message
 Basic VB 3.0 Problem - Please Help 1st Timer

I'm sorry to have to use xBase terms, but it's the only way I know to
get my message across.

I have a single form acting on a single table in a single database.
The application is to enter the results from a survey.   The survey
has 36 questions with a Low, Medium, High response possible to each
question.  I have created a form with 36 frames and three check boxes
in each frame.  What I would like to do is do an "append blank" then
fill in the check boxes, then write the a new record.  After the
frames on the screen I have a command button with the programming
data1.recordset.addnew, this works to a certain degree.   The problem
is that when I run the program a 2nd, 3rd, etc. time, the form comes
up with a few of the check boxes already checked off.   When I try to
enter test data it appears that the last record of the previous run is
being overwritten by the first data entry screen from the current run.

I know it must be something simple, please help, the pressure is on !!

thanx .......

David Laneville, Manager of I/S, City of Timmins.
Snail Mail:     220 Algonquin Blvd E., Timmins, Ontario.  P4N 1B3
If it wasn't for the last minute, not a damned thing would get done !!!!

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic VB 3.0 Problem - Please Help 1st Timer

Quote:

> I'm sorry to have to use xBase terms, but it's the only way I know to
> get my message across.

> I have a single form acting on a single table in a single database.
> The application is to enter the results from a survey.   The survey
> has 36 questions with a Low, Medium, High response possible to each
> question.  I have created a form with 36 frames and three check boxes
> in each frame.  What I would like to do is do an "append blank" then
> fill in the check boxes, then write the a new record.  After the
> frames on the screen I have a command button with the programming
> data1.recordset.addnew, this works to a certain degree.   The problem
> is that when I run the program a 2nd, 3rd, etc. time, the form comes
> up with a few of the check boxes already checked off.   When I try to
> enter test data it appears that the last record of the previous run is
> being overwritten by the first data entry screen from the current run.
> It almost sounds like your checkboxs are bound to a data control. I really suggest

you not use the Data Control and do your data manipulations directly with the JET
Engine using Data Access Objects(DAO). As long as the check boxes are bound to the data
control you are going to have this problem.

Fri, 30 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic VB 3.0 Problem - Please Help 1st Timer

I would strongly urge you to forget about using bound controls and go for
an unbound solution.  There are too many restrictions that you have to deal
with when working with bound controls and you end up with what, in my
opinion, looks like a very amateurish application.

First of all, is it absolutely necessary to have all 36 questions on the
form at the same time?  If not, I would suggest that you load the questions
into an array and show them one at a time.  Your form would have one frame,
one label to show the question, and three option buttons to show low,
medium and high options.  At the bottom of your form, put a Next and
Previous button and let them view one question at a time.  Clicking the
buttons lets them navigate through the questions, both forwards and
backwards.  Each time they respond to a question, update your array.  When
they click the Finish button on your form, do the update to the database
using Data Access Objects (DAO).  If you need some help with this, let me
know, but in the meantime take a look at the following keywords in VB help:

OPENRECORDSET, ADDNEW, UPDATE

Drop me a line if you need more help.

Rob

Quote:
> I'm sorry to have to use xBase terms, but it's the only way I know to
> get my message across.

> I have a single form acting on a single table in a single database.
> The application is to enter the results from a survey.   The survey
> has 36 questions with a Low, Medium, High response possible to each
> question.  I have created a form with 36 frames and three check boxes
> in each frame.  What I would like to do is do an "append blank" then
> fill in the check boxes, then write the a new record.  After the
> frames on the screen I have a command button with the programming
> data1.recordset.addnew, this works to a certain degree.   The problem
> is that when I run the program a 2nd, 3rd, etc. time, the form comes
> up with a few of the check boxes already checked off.   When I try to
> enter test data it appears that the last record of the previous run is
> being overwritten by the first data entry screen from the current run.

> I know it must be something simple, please help, the pressure is on !!

> thanx .......

> David Laneville, Manager of I/S, City of Timmins.
> Snail Mail:        220 Algonquin Blvd E., Timmins, Ontario.  P4N 1B3
> If it wasn't for the last minute, not a damned thing would get done !!!!

Wed, 05 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB 3.0 Problem - Please Help 1st Timer

2. VB 3.0 - Problem with MDI Children - Please Help

3. Timer release problem under NT 3.51 / VB 3.0

4. PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP, PLEASE HELP,

5. Help please: VB 3.0 pro to VB 4.0 pro

6. Help please: VB 3.0 pro to VB 4.0 pro

7. Please help with 1st program

8. HELP PLEASE: VB 3.0 users in Cape Town RSA

9. Please Help - SQL 6.0 vb 3.0

10. Help please : printing WMF on Printer Object in VB 3.0 Pro

11. Please Help! VB 3.0 Pro Grid.vbx

12. VB 3.0 -- timer.exe