VB4.0 Win 32/Pro - Access 7.0 Security problem
Author Message
 VB4.0 Win 32/Pro - Access 7.0 Security problem

Already read manuals, FAQ's etc.

Problem Description:
I have as MS Access 7.0 database which security enabled.
Security scenario uses 2 .mdw files:
 - Tsys.mdw, where several groups are created,
no permissions are granted for standart users/groups and new groups.
One user, "MyName" have all permissions. This for developers work only.
 - T.mdw, where the same groups are re-created and permissions assigned.
This is shipped with database and application.
(This approach enables the remote site administrators to add users and
assign them to groups which we supply)

Now I want to open this database from VB4.0 using Tsys.mdw and "MyName" with
"MyPassword". No recommended approach seems to work.

I tried everything, even stupid things:
- put the name of Tsys.mdw in my app's .ini file,
setting DBEngine.IniPath = ...,
DBEngine.DefaultUser=...,DBEngine.DefaultPassword = ...
and opening Workspaces(0)
- CreateWorkspace("nn","MyName","MyPassword")
- OpenDatabase("myDB",True,False,";uid=MyName;pwd=MyPassword")
- opening some other .mdb and attaching table with connection string
- changing Registry 'SystemDB' entries to point to Tsys.mdw
- even replacing 'System.mdw' with 'Tsys.mdw'

Different combinations of the above were tested.

How can I solve the problem?
Am I miising smthng simple and evident?
Is it possible at all?

Note: I'm advanced in Access and novice in VB.
Sorry for long post, I'm desperate...

Wed, 02 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 VB4.0 Win 32/Pro - Access 7.0 Security problem

On 14 Dec 1996 16:06:00 +0300, "Vadim Soukhomlinov"

Quote:

>Already read manuals, FAQ's etc.

>Problem Description:
>I have as MS Access 7.0 database which security enabled.
>Security scenario uses 2 .mdw files:
> - Tsys.mdw, where several groups are created,
>no permissions are granted for standart users/groups and new groups.
>One user, "MyName" have all permissions. This for developers work only.
> - T.mdw, where the same groups are re-created and permissions assigned.
>This is shipped with database and application.
>(This approach enables the remote site administrators to add users and
>assign them to groups which we supply)

>Now I want to open this database from VB4.0 using Tsys.mdw and "MyName" with
>"MyPassword". No recommended approach seems to work.

>I tried everything, even stupid things:
>- put the name of Tsys.mdw in my app's .ini file,
>setting DBEngine.IniPath = ...,
>DBEngine.DefaultUser=...,DBEngine.DefaultPassword = ...
>and opening Workspaces(0)
>- CreateWorkspace("nn","MyName","MyPassword")
>- OpenDatabase("myDB",True,False,";uid=MyName;pwd=MyPassword")
>- opening some other .mdb and attaching table with connection string
>- changing Registry 'SystemDB' entries to point to Tsys.mdw
>- even replacing 'System.mdw' with 'Tsys.mdw'

>Different combinations of the above were tested.

>How can I solve the problem?
>Am I miising smthng simple and evident?
>Is it possible at all?

>Note: I'm advanced in Access and novice in VB.
>Sorry for long post, I'm desperate...

I haven't worked with Access 7, but have worked with secured data from
within VB4/32....

Try this in your Sub Main()....
DBEngine.SystemDB = "path and filename of your T.mdw"

Let me know what happens...
Ed Phillippe

Thu, 03 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. A colour question (Win 95 and VB4 Pro 32 bit)

2. 32-bit VB4 Pro in Win 95 crashes

3. Bitmaps, OLE, Access 7.0 and VB4 (32 bit)

4. VB4.0 (32-bit) access 7.0 empty datetime field

5. VB4 - 32 -> Access 2.0 Security

6. Deleting a table from Access database - VB4 32 Pro

7. After VB4 Pro 32-bit Install ven2232.olb not found displayed on VB4 startup

8. VB 4.0 (32-bit) accessing password protected Access 7.0 database

9. VB 4.0 (32-bit) accessing password protected Access 7.0 database

10. Problem with win-32 api on win-95

11. Excel 7.0 Macro -to- Vb4.0-32

12. VB4-32 / Access 2.0 - Fields Collection Problem