Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit
Author Message
 Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit

I've got a Visual Basic 32-bit system which uses an Access 97 database. It's
running in a multiuser environment over 3 sites with approx. 15 users. The
users in 2 of the sites connect to the main site using Cytrix Server

About 2 weeks ago the database was corrupted and couldn't be repaired or
compacted automatically by Access. I managed to re-create the two tables
which held the corruption and re-build the database and afterwards it could
be repaired and compacted automatcially again.

However, it now seems to get corrupted every second day and has to re-built
bit by bit each time and data gets lost

Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening. Could there be something
in the code which is suddenly affecting it like this?, could it be the
number of users? could it be the fact that some of the users are using it
over Cytrix Server or has anyone any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Fiona Cassidy

Sun, 03 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit
Why you make a master replica and install replicas to each user and then
synchronize. The repair and compact works fine in this way.
Quote:

>I've got a Visual Basic 32-bit system which uses an Access 97 database.
It's
>running in a multiuser environment over 3 sites with approx. 15 users. The
>users in 2 of the sites connect to the main site using Cytrix Server

>About 2 weeks ago the database was corrupted and couldn't be repaired or
>compacted automatically by Access. I managed to re-create the two tables
>which held the corruption and re-build the database and afterwards it could
>be repaired and compacted automatcially again.

>However, it now seems to get corrupted every second day and has to re-built
>bit by bit each time and data gets lost

>Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening. Could there be something
>in the code which is suddenly affecting it like this?, could it be the
>number of users? could it be the fact that some of the users are using it
>over Cytrix Server or has anyone any other ideas?

>Thanks in advance

>Fiona Cassidy

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit
This is *only* a guess, but it sure sounds like one of your users has a
virus on his or her computer. You might want to have all your users make
sure their machines are "clean".

Rick

Quote:
> I've got a Visual Basic 32-bit system which uses an Access 97 database.
It's
> running in a multiuser environment over 3 sites with approx. 15 users. The
> users in 2 of the sites connect to the main site using Cytrix Server

> About 2 weeks ago the database was corrupted and couldn't be repaired or
> compacted automatically by Access. I managed to re-create the two tables
> which held the corruption and re-build the database and afterwards it
could
> be repaired and compacted automatcially again.

> However, it now seems to get corrupted every second day and has to
re-built
> bit by bit each time and data gets lost

> Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening. Could there be something
> in the code which is suddenly affecting it like this?, could it be the
> number of users? could it be the fact that some of the users are using it
> over Cytrix Server or has anyone any other ideas?

> Thanks in advance

> Fiona Cassidy

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit
The most common cause of corruption in replicated databases
is synching directly when the net connections are
unreliable. The solution is to use indirect synchronizations
instead.

Not sure what the solution would be to post this message to
fewer newsgroups. The visious crossposting was not
necessary. Here were the droups you posted to:

comp.databases.ms-access,
comp.lang.basic.visual.database,
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc,
comp.lang.visual.basic,
microsoft.public.access,
microsoft.public.access.chat,
microsoft.public.access.conversion,
microsoft.public.access.developerstoolkit

The first two were likely the ONLY ones on theist that you
could claim were relevant, and then you forgot

microsoft.public.access.replication

which would have been best in any case.

I set follow-ups to those three groups. Better late than
never. The rest of them were really silly to crosspost to.

--
MichKa

-------------------------------------
don't send questions by e-mail unless
you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!) :-)

random junk of dubious value and
replica error and problem fixing at:
http://www.trigeminal.com

Quote:
> Why you make a master replica and install replicas to each
user and then
> synchronize. The repair and compact works fine in this
way.

Quote:
> >I've got a Visual Basic 32-bit system which uses an
Access 97 database.
> It's
> >running in a multiuser environment over 3 sites with

approx. 15 users. The
Quote:
> >users in 2 of the sites connect to the main site using
Cytrix Server

> >About 2 weeks ago the database was corrupted and couldn't
be repaired or
> >compacted automatically by Access. I managed to re-create
the two tables
> >which held the corruption and re-build the database and
afterwards it could
> >be repaired and compacted automatcially again.

> >However, it now seems to get corrupted every second day a
nd has to re-built
> >bit by bit each time and data gets lost

> >Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening. Could
there be something
> >in the code which is suddenly affecting it like this?,
could it be the
> >number of users? could it be the fact that some of the
users are using it
> >over Cytrix Server or has anyone any other ideas?

> >Thanks in advance

> >Fiona Cassidy

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit

2. Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit

3. Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit

4. Connect 16-bit VB app to 32-bit Access 97 DB

5. shared variables between Visual Basic (16 bit) and Visual C++ (32-bit)

6. corruption of 16 bit db when used by both 16 and 32 bit apps

7. Visual Basic 4 - 16 bit & Word 97

8. Access 7.0 Database and Visual Basic 4.0 (32-bit)

9. Multimedia control for Visual Basic (16 bit or 32 bit)

10. Avoiding load of 32-bit custom control using 16-bit Visual Basic 4.0

11. Visual Basic 4 (16 bit) and Access 97

12. Visual Basic 4.0 16-bit and Access 97 tables