new user needs help
Author Message
 new user needs help

I just recently picked up a used version of Visual Basic Professional
edition 3.0, and after playing around with it for awhile, I 've tried to
do something useful with it.  First, I should state that  NO
documentation came with the software, except for a copy of Visual Basic
3.0 for Dummies.  While this book is somewhat informative, it isn't
helping with my current problem which is this:

I'm trying to access a database, but not being successful.  The database
I'm trying to get to is an Access version 7.0 db.  The error message I
get says that either the database is corrupted or not an Access
database.  I assume, then, that VB 3.0 cannot use Access 7.0 db's.
Thinking this might be the case, I then saved the db as a dBASE III
file, using Access 7.0 and another copy, also in dBASE III, using
Microsoft Works version 3.0.  Well,  I set the DatabaseName property to
the proper file name, but when I try to select the RecordSOurce
property, I get an ISAM error.  HOwever, when I set the Comm property to
"dBASE III", I no longer get the ISAM error, but nothing at all happens
when I try to select a field in the database.

What am I doing wrong?
I can't afford to shell out $250 to upgrade to v. 5.0, and I'm not sure
I want to upgrade to the standard edition, for fear I might lose some
functionality I might need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Holt

Wed, 15 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 new user needs help

VB3 cannot access a 32 bit Access 7 database. Sorry about that...

One pposiibility -- limited in scope -- is to output the databse tables to a
comma delimited tex file.

  >I just recently picked up a used version of Visual Basic Professional
  >edition 3.0, and after playing around with it for awhile, I 've tried to
  >do something useful with it.  First, I should state that  NO
  >documentation came with the software, except for a copy of Visual Basic
  >3.0 for Dummies.  While this book is somewhat informative, it isn't
  >helping with my current problem which is this:
  >
  >I'm trying to access a database, but not being successful.  The database
  >I'm trying to get to is an Access version 7.0 db.  The error message I
  >get says that either the database is corrupted or not an Access
  >database.  I assume, then, that VB 3.0 cannot use Access 7.0 db's.
  >Thinking this might be the case, I then saved the db as a dBASE III
  >file, using Access 7.0 and another copy, also in dBASE III, using
  >Microsoft Works version 3.0.  Well,  I set the DatabaseName property to
  >the proper file name, but when I try to select the RecordSOurce
  >property, I get an ISAM error.  HOwever, when I set the Comm property to
  >"dBASE III", I no longer get the ISAM error, but nothing at all happens
  >when I try to select a field in the database.
  >
  >What am I doing wrong?
  >I can't afford to shell out $250 to upgrade to v. 5.0, and I'm not sure
  >I want to upgrade to the standard edition, for fear I might lose some
  >functionality I might need.
  >
  >Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  >
  >Tony Holt

Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 new user needs help

Hello Tony,

There should be a way in Access 7 to convert the database to the access
2 format.

Then you can acces it.

HtH

Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. New User - Need Help

2. New user needs help with attached tables

3. New User Needs Help

4. New User Needs Help Quickly..Please

5. *New User NEEDS help!*

6. New User Need Help

7. New user needs help!

8. I need help with a datediff problem ( a fairly new user who needs help)

9. Help needed by new user

10. New PB31 user needs help

11. New VB User Needs Help

12. Help needed by vbdb new user