Delete records when using dBase IV
Author Message
 Delete records when using dBase IV

        I am new in VB and currently writing a database program in VB and the DB is created in dBase IV.  Does anybody know that how can I delete (I want really delete it, not just mark it as deleted) records?  Please e-mail me if you have any idea, thank you!

Keith Cheng
Monash University, Clayton

Tue, 17 Jun 1997 08:37:30 GMT
 Delete records when using dBase IV

Quote:
>       I am new in VB and currently writing a database program in

VB and the DB is created in dBase IV.  Does anybody know that how
can I delete (I want really delete it, not just mark it as deleted)
records?  Please e-mail me if you have any idea, thank you!

Quote:

>Keith Cheng
>Monash University, Clayton

Please could people post answers in this newsgroup as a great many
of us would be extremely interested in a Pack utility for the XBase
languages.

Many Thanks

P'Charnkov!                        the other day upon the stair
                                   i met a man who wasn't there
                                   he wasn't there again today
Bryan                              i think he's from the CIA

 just because i'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me
              paranoia means never feeling alone

Tue, 17 Jun 1997 19:51:34 GMT
 Delete records when using dBase IV
I think that a rethinking of this issue is in order. JET will emulate the
actions of standard dBase in marking the record as deleted with  a PACK being
a separate process. The problem is that if your database is large, this pack
may take a lot of time and disk space to complete.

A possible solution may be to overwrite the record with blanks or zeros. This
will essentially remove the record from the database. However, to prevent a
bloated database, this solution also invites that new adds be added into the
blank records before a new blank record is added to the database.

Additionally, you don not mention what database option are available to you.
Migrating to Access 2.0 will bypass your entire problem.

Hope this is useful,
Charly

Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:17:33 GMT

1. Deleting records in dBase IV

2. How to delete a recordset of dBASE IV DBF file use VB4

3. Delete SQL Data in DBase IV in DataControl

4. Delete SQL Data in DBase IV in DataControl

5. VB5: Deleting records using a text Dbase file...

6. How can I read record from dBase IV (.DBF) with VB 6

7. Can Ojects be stored in DBASE IV Record

8. File/Record Locking in dBase IV DBs

9. Update Record in DBase IV ???

10. Using dBase IV with VB via ODBC without a DSN

11. Deleting records in Dbase

12. How to indicate if Dbase record is deleted?