ADO OLEDB SQL Server 6.5
Author Message
 ADO OLEDB SQL Server 6.5

I am having a problem with OLEDB Driver for SQL Server 6.5. I hope
someone has an answer. I aunable to get a recordset returned from a
stored procedure that is generating a temp table. When the connection is
created with the {SQL Server} native driver I get a recordset but when
we use SQLOLEDB in the OpenConnection methos I do not. Unfortunately I
do not have a choice of which driver to use because I am contracting and
the client is unmoving on the use of OLEDB. Any help or ideas would be
appreciated.

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO OLEDB SQL Server 6.5
My understanding from a recent seminar is that with SQL 6.5, the SQLOLEDB
driver does not work with temp tables. The best solution is to use OLE DB
provider for ODBC drivers. SQLOLEDB works ok for most things, but temp
tables are a problem.

   -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
 Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO OLEDB SQL Server 6.5
Thanks for the info on OLEDB. I have one more question if you don't mind. I
discovered Today that my "keeping up with the jones" clients are going to
upgrade the system to SQL 7.0. They are quite certain that it will be a
turnkey operation. I am not so convinced. Have you had any experiences with
making the move paticularly with TSQL features not supported. And finally can
I use my temp tables with 7.0 and SQLOLEDB
Quote:

> My understanding from a recent seminar is that with SQL 6.5, the SQLOLEDB
> driver does not work with temp tables. The best solution is to use OLE DB
> provider for ODBC drivers. SQLOLEDB works ok for most things, but temp
> tables are a problem.

>    -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
>  Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO OLEDB SQL Server 6.5
We just made that upgrade with our test system here and it worked like a
charm. Every database and user
came over perfectly and all TSQL-Trigger and stored procedures left from MS
SQL 6.5 worked perfectly.

Fair warning: We only transfered about 20 Procedures and 10, albeite large
                     and complex (including cursors) trigger. We are in the
process of writing a new programm
                    that makes extensive use of Stored Procedures on an MS
SQL 7.0 and so far everything works
                    like described in the MS SQL 6.5 books and examples.

The new tools are defenitly worth the swap, they are well designed and
functional.

                    Hope that helps,

                                    Michael Brinkhues

Quote:
> Thanks for the info on OLEDB. I have one more question if you don't mind.
> discovered Today that my "keeping up with the jones" clients are going to
> upgrade the system to SQL 7.0. They are quite certain that it will be a
> turnkey operation. I am not so convinced. Have you had any experiences
with
> making the move paticularly with TSQL features not supported. And finally
can
> I use my temp tables with 7.0 and SQLOLEDB

> > My understanding from a recent seminar is that with SQL 6.5, the
SQLOLEDB
> > driver does not work with temp tables. The best solution is to use OLE
DB
> > provider for ODBC drivers. SQLOLEDB works ok for most things, but temp
> > tables are a problem.

> >    -**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?a ****-
> >  Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser - FREE -

Tue, 06 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO OLEDB SQL Server 6.5

Quote:

> Thanks for the info on OLEDB. I have one more question if you don't mind. I
> discovered Today that my "keeping up with the jones" clients are going to
> upgrade the system to SQL 7.0. They are quite certain that it will be a
> turnkey operation. I am not so convinced. Have you had any experiences with
> making the move paticularly with TSQL features not supported. And finally can
> I use my temp tables with 7.0 and SQLOLEDB

I don't know about the OLEDB, but have just been through a 6.5 to 7.0
upgrade.  The process was relatively painless, but there are a few
things to beware of.  One major item is that sysprocedures doesn't exist
any more... so anything referencing that will break!!!

FWIW, there are about 100 pages in the manual on differences in
behaviour between 6.5 and 7.0, most of which are relatively minor.
However, it's still well worth skimming through in case you've done
anything that MS decreed won't be the same any more.

When we ran the upgrade, everything transferred just fine except the
stored procedures written for security.  These broke because SQL 7
supports overlapped group membership (finally!) and I hadn't written
this possibility into the code (I know, I know, I should have
anticipated & programmed defensively ;( ).

IMHO, the upgrade is very well worth making - the productivity benefits
to myself as an A.P. have been enormous, and it does seem to be stable.

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Data objects closed error in ADO 2.1 and SQL server 6.5

2. sql server 6.5 ado error

3. Strange Behavior - ADO and SQL Server 6.5

4. ADO 2.0 connection to SQL Server 6.5

5. SQL Server 6.5 & VB6 ADO

6. ADO 1.5 - VB5.0 - SQL Server 6.5

7. VB5, ADO 1.5, SQL Server 6.5 problem

8. VB5 / ADO 1.5 / SQL Server 6.5

9. SQL Server 6.5 + ADO problem...

10. Strange Behavior - ADO and SQL Server 6.5

11. ADO 2.1/SQL Server 6.5 - IDENTITY Question

12. ADO's Connection.beginTran will lock SQL Server 6.5