Access and linked ODBC tables don't use ODBC Definition
Author Message
 Access and linked ODBC tables don't use ODBC Definition

I discovered something that I consider very ugly. I am using an Access
databases with linked tables to access my ODBC sources. I discovered
by chance today that the Access database does not use the data source
definition currently set by the ODBC manager.

Example: Link the tables in Access using an ODBC source. Then change
the ODBC datasource to another server, or database whatever. Use the
Access database, it still has the original ODBC information stored in
Access. However it does check for the existance of the datasource,
because if you delete it altogether, then it won' work.

This was with ORACLE Rdb. Is this true with all ODBC data sources?
Don't you think this defeats the purpose of the ODBC manager?

I was expecting to be able to change my data source, but I can't
without deleteing the links and recreating them.

---------------------
Bob Clary
Enterprise Consulting

---------------------

Sun, 04 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Access and linked ODBC tables don't use ODBC Definition
bob:

the "refreshlink" method of the tabledef object will allow you to change the odbc
datasource at run-time, i believe.

-paul-

Quote:

>I discovered something that I consider very ugly. I am using an Access
>databases with linked tables to access my ODBC sources. I discovered
>by chance today that the Access database does not use the data source
>definition currently set by the ODBC manager.

>Example: Link the tables in Access using an ODBC source. Then change
>the ODBC datasource to another server, or database whatever. Use the
>Access database, it still has the original ODBC information stored in
>Access. However it does check for the existance of the datasource,
>because if you delete it altogether, then it won' work.

>This was with ORACLE Rdb. Is this true with all ODBC data sources?
>Don't you think this defeats the purpose of the ODBC manager?

>I was expecting to be able to change my data source, but I can't
>without deleteing the links and recreating them.

>---------------------
>Bob Clary
>Enterprise Consulting

>---------------------

Mon, 05 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Accessing Linked Oracle Tables in Access Using ODBC in VB

2. Strange ODBC errors using DAO to access linked tables

3. ODBC call failed on linked table '???'

4. ODBC Auto Logon to LINKED Access Tables - HOW??

5. ODBC 3.0 API function definitions for Visual Basic or SQLSetEnvAttr definition

6. Is it possible to link ActiveData tables to ODBC tables

7. Should Access DB with odbc linked table req duplicating odbc link locally?

8. How can I access tables by key using ODBC

9. Importing Access table into Daceasy using ODBC

10. Page Fault error accessing Informix tables using Intersolv ODBC Driver

11. ORACLE: don't want to use ODBC

12. Text labels on form don't show up when importing ODBC DB in background