Qs: VB4.0/OLE/ODBC
Author Message
 Qs: VB4.0/OLE/ODBC

3 questions:

1. What are differences between OLE in VB4.0 and previous versions? What
benifits does VB4.0 Remote OLE bring to Client/Server applications?

2. Except ODBC, is there any other media that Microsoft winodws
applications can access backoffice data(SQL Server etc.)?

3. How to code a VB application to simutaneously access data residing on
multiple servers?

Appreciate anybody who likes to share his/her knowledge!!!

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Qs: VB4.0/OLE/ODBC

Quote:

>3 questions:
>1. What are differences between OLE in VB4.0 and previous versions? What
>benifits does VB4.0 Remote OLE bring to Client/Server applications?
>2. Except ODBC, is there any other media that Microsoft winodws
>applications can access backoffice data(SQL Server etc.)?
>3. How to code a VB application to simutaneously access data residing on
>multiple servers?
>Appreciate anybody who likes to share his/her knowledge!!!

I can't answer some of your questions but I'll give some of them a
shot.

Remote OLE should enable you to "easily" write multi-tier
client/server apps. Typically in a three tier C/S app you could write
all your business logic as remote OLE servers (even if the physical
C/S structure is not three tier, i.e. you could have the database
server and the remote OLE servers running on the same machine)
This makes maintenance of the different components of you C/S system
easier.

If you want to avoid ODBC I believe (but I have never used some I may
be off on this one) there are different products such as VBSQL and
others (I know there are some other such products but as I have never
used them I can't comment (you could try
http://www.sfi-software.com/default.htm).

As for connecting to multiple servers, well it may be as simple as
opening multiple connections (if you intend to use the Jet engine, I
believe there may be a limit of 4 (but I can't remember if this is 4
connections or 4 users?) depending on what you mean exactly by
accessing. Do you mean run separate queries on many different servers
or single queries going across multiple servers?

Hope this helps a little.

Fred Baptiste

Sat, 07 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. 2 Qs: ODBC DSNs; ListView control

2. SQL Server, OLE, ODBC and VB4 problem

3. ODBC Error: Oracle7.2, ODBC, VB4.0, DAO, Jet 3.0

4. OLE and ODBC

5. A97 Wizard Qs

6. Newbie Qs: Optimizing Stylesheet with Fields

7. Qs on applying style

8. Qs on applying style (word2000)

9. connect to robohelp qs

10. VERBATUM EXAM Qs 91947