Database Engine
Author Message
 Database Engine

Microsoft's database technology appears to be three tiered.
1.  The JET database engine appears suited for the development of
stand-alone and small multi-user (networked/file server) database
applications.

2.  FoxPro appears suited for the development of more robust
multi-user (networked/file server) database applications.

3.  SQL Server appears suited for the development of large multi-user
(client/server) database applications.

I am aware that VB can be used for the development of the front end of
a database application using either the JET database engine or SQL
Server.  Is the database engine used with FoxPro available
"stand-alone" for use as a database engine with VB? (I know that JET
can read/write xbase (FoxPro) files.)  If so, can you provide some
information?  If it isn't available are there any third party database
engines comparable to the FoxPro engine?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Dave Malloy

Ignore the spam-be-gone if replying directly.

Sun, 04 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Database Engine
You should be able to use ODBC to connect to Foxpro
Quote:

>Microsoft's database technology appears to be three tiered.
>1.  The JET database engine appears suited for the development of
>stand-alone and small multi-user (networked/file server) database
>applications.

>2.  FoxPro appears suited for the development of more robust
>multi-user (networked/file server) database applications.

>3.  SQL Server appears suited for the development of large multi-user
>(client/server) database applications.

>I am aware that VB can be used for the development of the front end of
>a database application using either the JET database engine or SQL
>Server.  Is the database engine used with FoxPro available
>"stand-alone" for use as a database engine with VB? (I know that JET
>can read/write xbase (FoxPro) files.)  If so, can you provide some
>information?  If it isn't available are there any third party database
>engines comparable to the FoxPro engine?

>Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>Dave Malloy

>Ignore the spam-be-gone if replying directly.

Tue, 06 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. OpenLink Unleashes New Virtual Database Engine supporting all ODBC compliant databases

2. MS Jet database engine not find the object forms

3. Microsoft Jet Database Engine Cannot Open The File.......(access)mdb

4. MFC DAO Database Engine Assert Error

5. 3197 Microsoft Jet database engine

6. The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot......

7. Which Database Engine To Use ?????

8. New Release: Bullet 3.0 - database engine for (most) everything

9. DAO and JET Database Engine Distribution Licensing

10. database engine

11. Freeware BTree Database Engine for PB DLL

12. The Microsoft Jet Database Engine cannot find the input table or query