Displaying tabular data
Author Message
 Displaying tabular data

Hi all,

I'm trying to display data from Access in tabular format.  I tried using
the grid control, but I have lots of records to display and loading all
the records takes too long.

Is there a better way without having to code such that I load only part
of the data, then if the user scrolls, load more?  Any reply is greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.

Han

--
The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.
------------

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying tabular data

Quote:

>I'm trying to display data from Access in tabular format.  I tried using
>the grid control, but I have lots of records to display and loading all
>the records takes too long.

Buy TrueGrid Pro from Apex.

John

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying tabular data

Quote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to display data from Access in tabular format.  I tried using
> the grid control, but I have lots of records to display and loading all
> the records takes too long.
> Is there a better way without having to code such that I load only part
> of the data, then if the user scrolls, load more?  Any reply is greatly
> appreciated.  Thanks.
> Han
> --
> The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.
> ------------
> Han Hung, Systems Analyst
> Wharton Computing and Information Technology
> The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania

Try looking at the Truegrid control from Apex Software.   Apex have a
WEb server at www.apexsc.com.   You'll find all you need to know
about TrueGrid there.

--

MES, 26 North Road,
Lerwick, Shetland, UK     Compuserve: 100016,1727

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying tabular data

Quote:

>Hi all,

>I'm trying to display data from Access in tabular format.  I tried using
>the grid control, but I have lots of records to display and loading all
>the records takes too long.

>Is there a better way without having to code such that I load only part
>of the data, then if the user scrolls, load more?  Any reply is greatly
>appreciated.  Thanks.

Take a look at Apex's TrueGrid.  It works exactly as you described.  Very
reasonably priced.  Fairly easy to use.

Apex: (412) 681-4343

Oh, their grid is not limited to 200 lines which I believe the standard
grid is.

Quote:
>Han

>--
>The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.
>------------
>Han Hung, Systems Analyst
>Wharton Computing and Information Technology
>The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Displaying tabular data
HH>I'm trying to display data from Access in tabular format.  I tried using
HH>the grid control, but I have lots of records to display and loading all
HH>the records takes too long.
HH>Is there a better way without having to code such that I load only part
HH>of the data, then if the user scrolls, load more?  Any reply is greatly
HH>appreciated.  Thanks.
        Hope you get the idea.
        Time was reduced, from filling ALL grid cells to partial
filling,  from 15 minutes to 20 seconds....
        The first 19.8210 seconds is time for SQL data retrieving

Sub DisQuery ()
Dim Q As String
    Q = "    SELECT DISTINCTROW "
    Q = Q & "   PROPERTY.ID as ID, "
        blah..blah...
' making querry
    intAllProperty = 0
    Set SNP = dbNewERA.CreateSnapshot(Q)
    If SNP.RecordCount > 0 Then
        SNP.MoveLast
        intAllProperty = SNP.RecordCount
        Vscroll1.Min = 0
        Vscroll1.Max = intAllProperty
        SNP.MoveFirst
        Vscroll1 = 0
        FillGrid
    Else
        SNP.Close
        Set SNP = Nothing
    End If
End Sub

Sub FillGrid ()
Dim strID As String, strCriteria As String, L As String
Dim i As Integer
    If LastScrollValue < 1 Then
        SNP.MoveFirst
    Else
        grid1.Row = 0: grid1.Col = 0
        strID = Trim$(grid1.Text)
        strCriteria = "Id = '" & strID & "'"
        SNP.FindFirst strCriteria
    End If
    ClearGrid
    i = 0
    While (i < 23) And (Not SNP.EOF)
        grid1.Row = i
        grid1.Col = 0
        grid1.Text = SNP.Fields("ID")
        grid1.Col = 1
        grid1.Text = SNP.Fields("Broker")
                blah...blah..blah
        SNP.MoveNext
        i = i + 1
    Wend
End Sub

Sub ScrollDownOneRecord ()
Dim i As Integer, j As Integer
Dim strID As String, strCriteria As String, T As String
    strID = ""
    grid1.Col = 0
    i = 23
    While strID = ""
        i = i - 1
        grid1.Row = i
        strID = Trim$(grid1.Text)
    Wend
    If strID = "" Then Exit Sub
    screen.MousePointer = 11
    strCriteria = "Id = '" & strID & "'"
    SNP.FindFirst strCriteria
    SNP.MoveNext
    If SNP.EOF Then
        SNP.MovePrevious
    Else
        For j = 1 To i
            grid1.Col = 0: grid1.Row = j: T = grid1.Text
            grid1.Row = j - 1: grid1.Text = T
            grid1.Col = 1: grid1.Row = j: T = grid1.Text
            grid1.Row = j - 1: grid1.Text = T
                blah..blah..blah
        Next
        grid1.Row = j - 1
        grid1.Col = 0
        grid1.Text = SNP.Fields("ID")
        grid1.Col = 1
                blah..blah..blah
    End If
    screen.MousePointer = 0
End Sub

Sub ScrollUpOnePage ()
Dim i, j, intCount As Integer
Dim strID As String, strCriteria As String, T As String

    grid1.Row = 0: grid1.Col = 0: strID = Trim$(grid1.Text)
    If strID = "" Then Exit Sub
    strCriteria = "Id = '" & strID & "'"
    SNP.FindFirst strCriteria
    intCount = 0
    For i = -1 To intSkip Step -1
        SNP.MovePrevious
        If SNP.BOF Then
            SNP.MoveNext
            i = intSkip - 1
        Else
            intCount = intCount + 1
        End If
    Next
    If intCount < 1 Then Exit Sub
    screen.MousePointer = 11
    If intCount < 23 Then
        For i = 22 To intCount Step -1
            grid1.Col = 0: grid1.Row = i - intCount: T = grid1.Text
            grid1.Row = i: grid1.Text = T
            grid1.Col = 1: grid1.Row = i - intCount: T = grid1.Text
            grid1.Row = i: grid1.Text = T
        Next
        For i = 0 To intCount - 1
            grid1.Row = i
            grid1.Col = 0
            grid1.Text = SNP.Fields("ID")
            grid1.Col = 1
            grid1.Text = SNP.Fields("Broker")
            SNP.MoveNext
        Next
    Else
        For i = 0 To 22
            grid1.Row = i
            grid1.Col = 0
            grid1.Text = SNP.Fields("ID")
            grid1.Col = 1
            grid1.Text = SNP.Fields("Broker")
            SNP.MoveNext
        Next
    End If
    screen.MousePointer = 0
End Sub

Quote:
>>> Continued to next message

 * OLX 2.2 * ...Dream Weaver...

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB.NET Displaying data in Tabular form !!!!!!!!

2. VB.NET Displaying data in Tabular form !!!!!!!!

3. Displaying tabular da 2/2

4. File Syntax for SOURCE parameter, Tabular Data control

5. Summarize Tabular Data

6. Navigating inside the Tabular Data Control

7. Tabular Data Control

8. Tabular Data Control (TDC)

9. NEWBIE question: Control for entering tabular format data?

10. Summarize Tabular Data

11. Tabular Data Control & CBO box

12. Tabular Data Control advice