MS SQL Server BLOBS, RDO and Stored Procedures
Author Message
 MS SQL Server BLOBS, RDO and Stored Procedures

Quote:
> I am writing an application using VB4 (32bit) and MSSQL 6.5

> The database contains several fields where unlimited length comments
> and notes can be stored. (BLOBs)

> I am trying to access these BLOBs via RDO and Stored Procedures.

<error report and request for help deleted>

Do you have the bugfix version of RDO?  Check the Microsoft web site for
it.  It requires the VB 4.0a upgrade; check the MS site for that too.

--
o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=o=0=
Bob McDonald

Thu, 22 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server BLOBS, RDO and Stored Procedures

I am writing an application using VB4 (32bit) and MSSQL 6.5

The database contains several fields where unlimited length comments
and notes can be stored. (BLOBs)

I am trying to access these BLOBs via RDO and Stored Procedures.

When attempting to read from the resultset, I get the error message
that the resultset was not created by a select statement.

If I issue the exact same select statement that the stored procedure
is using I can retrieve the data just fine.  OK so I found a work
around.

Now, Writing to blobs on SQL server is a little more difficult.
When I try to send the BLOB data to the SQL server via rdo prepared
statement parameter, I get the error message "Can't assign value to an
unbound parameter."

If I issue the insert statement directly from VB then I have to make
sure that the text being sent doesn't have any quote marks in it.
This is a solution I do not like.

Does anyone have experience with BLOBs and VB4.  I have considered not
using BLOBs at all and storing pointers to text files on the server,
however, none of these files would be very large (typically 2k to 10k
at the most)

Fri, 23 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server BLOBS, RDO and Stored Procedures

Quote:

> I am writing an application using VB4 (32bit) and MSSQL 6.5

> The database contains several fields where unlimited length comments
> and notes can be stored. (BLOBs)

> I am trying to access these BLOBs via RDO and Stored Procedures.

> When attempting to read from the resultset, I get the error message
> that the resultset was not created by a select statement.

> If I issue the exact same select statement that the stored procedure
> is using I can retrieve the data just fine.  OK so I found a work
> around.

> Now, Writing to blobs on SQL server is a little more difficult.
> When I try to send the BLOB data to the SQL server via rdo prepared
> statement parameter, I get the error message "Can't assign value to an
> unbound parameter."

> If I issue the insert statement directly from VB then I have to make
> sure that the text being sent doesn't have any quote marks in it.
> This is a solution I do not like.

> Does anyone have experience with BLOBs and VB4.  I have considered not
> using BLOBs at all and storing pointers to text files on the server,
> however, none of these files would be very large (typically 2k to 10k
> at the most)

See article Q153238 in Microsoft's knowledge base.
"How To Use GetChunk and AppendChunk RDO Object"

Ray

Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 MS SQL Server BLOBS, RDO and Stored Procedures

Quote:

>Does anyone have experience with BLOBs and VB4.  I have considered not
>using BLOBs at all and storing pointers to text files on the server,
>however, none of these files would be very large (typically 2k to 10k
>at the most)

With VB4 I have used the AppendChunk, and GetChunk methods with BLOB fields in
Access tables.  I don't know if this will work on an SQL server.

 I am very interested in hearing your solution to this problem as I expect to
run into exactly the same wall in my current project.  I would very much
appreciate hearing your eventual solution to this problem.  If you don't mind

Scott.

Tue, 27 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB4 RDO Won't detect an error in an SQL Server 6.0 stored procedure

2. RDO and SQL Server stored procedure problems

3. RDO, SQL Server & Stored Procedures

4. RDO, SQL Server & Stored Procedures

5. Calling a SQL Server 2000 store procedure from MS-Access

6. MS SQL Server 6.0 stored procedures

7. MS Sql Server 6.0 Stored Procedures

8. MS SQL Server Stored Procedures

9. Converting dynamic query by example SQL to RDO based SQL Stored Procedure

10. Storing Blobs in SQL Server

11. doing updating from grid to sql server with stored procedure sql 2000

12. Executing MS SQL Server 2000 stored procs via MS Access 2000