Need some advice on SQL Server/VB
Author Message
 Need some advice on SQL Server/VB

Hi all,

I hope you can help me, the company I work for is looking into
changing all of it's applications to client/server using SQL Server
and probably VB4.

Unfortunately I've never used SQL Server before, so I don't know what
the implications are of doing this, or even how to write the code to
access an SQL database.

Is there a txt file or something out there which can provide me with
information relating to using VB with SQL server?  I don't really want
to go out and buy a book because I want to know a bit more about it
before I spend any money.

Your help is much appreciated.

Tom Hughes

Tue, 01 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need some advice on SQL Server/VB

Quote:

> Is there a txt file or something out there which can provide me with
> information relating to using VB with SQL server?  I don't really want
> to go out and buy a book because I want to know a bit more about it
> before I spend any money.

Just the basics first, Tom.

You will probably use VBSQL.VBX/OCX to access the SQLServer data. It works basically
as an added layer on top of ODBC. Syntax is a bit off what you are used to, but is
very quick to get the hang of.

Microsoft will have excerpts of their book "Hitchhikers Guide to VB & SQLServer" on
technet and a bunch of technical services they have. There are also white-papers
available from their WWW site I believe. If in doubt, the book's author is William
Vaughn and you may find something by him on any of a hundred web sites. He is prolific
in publishing white papers on SQLServer/RDO.

However, it is easy to connect at a simplistic level. Don't hassle with the RDO type
of details. Microsoft also publishes the SQLServer SDK, which has a Programmers
Reference for VB & SQLServer, as well as the VBSQL.VBX.

Keep the faith - you should be able to understand VBSQL within a day or two.

Tue, 01 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need some advice on SQL Server/VB

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I hope you can help me, the company I work for is looking into
> changing all of it's applications to client/server using SQL Server
> and probably VB4.

Check http://www.sfi-software.com

Sam Q. Lang
Sylvain Faust Inc. (SFI)

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need some advice on SQL Server/VB

Quote:

> You will probably use VBSQL.VBX/OCX to access the SQLServer data. It works basically
> as an added layer on top of ODBC. Syntax is a bit off what you are used to, but is
> very quick to get the hang of.

Hey hey!!!  VBXes for DB-Library existed before ODBC...  There are NOT on top of anything
else but DB-Library itself.

For full VBX, OCX and OLE Automation servers for DB-Library, Sybase CT-Library and Oracle
Call Interface (OCI), check the maker of them all, Sylvain Faust Inc. (SFI) at
http://www.sfi-software.com

Sam Q. Lang
Sylvain Faust Inc. (SFI)
http://www.sfi-software.com
Tel: 819 778-5045
Fax: 819 778-7943
Sybase Synergy Partner
Oracle Business Partner
Microsoft Solution Provider

Fri, 04 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Advice needed: multi-user app using SQL Server backend

2. Need advice on reporting sql server data

3. Advice Needed - Access Remote SQL Server

4. ADVICE - SQL Server & VB 5

5. OLE, VB 4.0 and SQL Server advice

6. VB Sql Server Via ADO Problem: [Microsoft][ODBC Sql Server Driver]

7. Advice for upgrading to SQL-Server please

8. Please advice in learning sql server 6.5

9. basic sql server advice please

10. Advice for upgrading to SQL-Server please

11. Migrating from Access to SQL Server advice

12. ADVICE - SQL Server and VB5